Hard wiring a 2 wire shop light

Users who are viewing this thread

Reptar

Reaction score
Hello,
I purchased some L.E.D. shop lights and i wanted to hard wire them to an existing switch. The only thing i am concerned about is the shop light only has a two prong connector. When hard wiring it should i be concerned with grounding the light? If so how would i do so? The light operates with 38 watts (i believe to be roughly .32 amps). If it wasn't safe to do so my other option was to wire an outlet box by each light.

http://www.costco.com/4’-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain,-2-pack.product.100223617.html

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could put in a receptacle box by each light that is switched from your existing light switch. You could use single port receptacles and even a recessed one.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't see any problem with only having the two wires.

Reaction score
LED tube lighting is increasingly popular because they eliminate the need for a costly ballast. Usually when a ballast dies for a florescent tube, that's the time to consider a LED one.

LED tube lighting are made to be a drop in replacement for whatever hot and neutral is feeding the ballast.

Desk lamps, floor lamps, and any other sort of lighting that uses a NEMA 1-15 plug are all ungrounded.

The main reason is that they all contain a safety "fuse" that can blow, the light bulb itself.

It wouldn't make a difference if you added a plug to your led lights, or hardwired them into the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks