Hard Water Deposits

Users who are viewing this thread

sixgun95

Reaction score
How can I remove all the calcium and hard water deposits from all my fixtures? Just had a soft water system installed by a recommendation from someone here, what a difference!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Lime Away or CLR. Please use caution when using this product, gloves and eye protection if there is any chance of it getting in your face. Vinegar also works, but is a little more work. Contact time is the key, let it do its work. You will usually see it foaming. It may take many applications, but it will come off eventually. Be patient, let the acid do its work. Use caution around marble, dont use it nearby, if you do, get it off quickly.

sixgun95

Reaction score
Lime Away or CLR. Please use caution when using this product, gloves and eye protection if there is any chance of it getting in your face. Vinegar also works, but is a little more work. Contact time is the key, let it do its work. You will usually see it foaming. It may take many applications, but it will come off eventually. Be patient, let the acid do its work. Use caution around marble, dont use it nearby, if you do, get it off quickly.

For vinegar, just spray it on and leave it or do the fixtures need to be scraped? I also heard that muratic acis diluted in water works well but I am hesitant it will trash the fixtures.

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
They are usually all acids, just different types and strengths, household vinegar being the weakest and usually requires soaking in it. The hardwater deposits are "basic" which reacts with the acid to dissolve it. The stronger the acid, the faster it works but the more dangerous to work with. Marble and limestone are also basic which is why those cleaners will etch it.

They definitely can damage the fixture too depending on its condition and finish so you have to be careful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks