Hard Water, Bad Tasting Water And I Have A Supposedly Good Softenr And Reverse Osomos

Users who are viewing this thread

dreamercgl

Reaction score
hI,I live in the country. When we moved here the water was rusty, very rusty.
Our well is 250 ft. deep. We had new pump put in, and went with a Aqua System with reverse osmosis. We have had them come out constantly.
Our water taste terrible, getting just a little rust, but tons of mineral deposits everywhere. I use 5 times more detergent, and after the washing machine agitates for a few minutes we get no lather, ever. I thought once you have soft water you get more lathering and softer skin, and better tasting water. Heck , our water tasted better outside from the hose then it does with the osmosis system.

the company came and replaced the unit and said our water was soft, yet it won't lather soap and taste terrible. It's still the same.

what can I do .? Is there a special system I don't know about that I should have?

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
The reverse osmosis part is probably only for a separate kitchen sink faucet. It would be expensive to use reverse osmosis on a whole house since reverse osmosis dumps ~4 times more water down the drain.

To test reverse osmosis watter, just pour it into a pan and evaporate it. It should evaporate without any residue since reverse osmosis watter is almost as pure as distilled water.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It may be that the softener is not set right for regeneration, or it may not be working. You need to get a test from someone other than the company responsible for the softener.

There should be an automatic system for initiating regeneration.

You should take a sample after the softener, some time just before the softener is set to regenerate, and have it tested by someone other than the people who installed the softener that you have.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If your softener is undersized or for other reasons not producing consistently 0 gpg soft water, your RO will not work very long or well.

You should do 2 manual regenerations using 15 lbs/cuft of resin in the softener (the max salt dose) without using any water between them or as little as possible. You could also add some Iron Out to the brine tank water to clean the resin of iron.

And buy yourself a hardness test kit and test your water every day about the same time of day until a few days after the next automatic regeneration that it does.

If the water tests as hard, 1 or more gpg, then call those guys and tell them to fix or replace the softener with the right size for your family size, number of bathrooms and type of fixtures you have, or buy a new correctly size and type of softener that will work on your water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks