Hard buildup in cast iron drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

STurner

Reaction score
I have started addressing a long-clogged kitchen sink drain that has led me below the floor to the crawlspace and to a cast iron drain pipe that was cracked part way down. I noticed it was filled with a hard brownish material that was impenetrable by auger so I decided to cut off the cracked section, which was about 6-8 inches of pipe. Even below that, right before the elbow, the pipe is filled with a very hard grayish-brown, seemingly metallic substance. I tried drilling the center but even that was difficult. Does anybody have any experience here or know what I am looking at? Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• DSC01985.JPG
    DSC01985.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 197
Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probably cement grout, mortar or some type of epoxy that someone poured down the sink and it set up hard as a rock.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks