Happy D toilet WALL (rear/horizontal) outlet model installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Lin

Reaction score
I would like to buy the Happy D toilet...with a WALL outlet. Specs state that it has an 8 inch "rough in."

We live in a high rise pre-war building...so no chance of changing any of the basic plumbing. So far the building plumbers have only installed crane toilets... but are a bit ugly.

Several questions.

I have a 4 inch rough in ...how well does the Vario connector (provided by Duravit) work ? to convert this 8 inch toilet rough in to accommodate the 4 inch building rough in.

If it is installed using the above connector ...does this mean the toilet will sit away from the wall ? I would like it flush.

On one of the forums someone said they could not use the Happy D rear/wall flush because their toilet backed onto another toilet in an adjoining apartment....so it was a shared drain. Has anyone any comments on this? Is it accurate and if so why?

I have approached Duravit customer service via phone (no call back) and by e-mail but could not get clear answers.

Likewise the maintenance plumbers in our (400 apartment building) couldn't give me straight answers regarding this Happy D model.

These rear outlet toilets seem to be quite a pain !

So..............HELP please.

lg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
(rear/horizontal) outlet model installation

.... These rear outlet toilets seem to be quite a pain ! ....

I agree 100 percent. There is a learning curve to these toilets but once you have it figured out they get easier and easier. Don't give up on your vision. Be very careful with the water supply location. It needs to be exact to work - the water supply enters in the top left most times. Have your plumber run the line with a bit if a loop so there is a little play at install time if needed. He will know what I'm talking about.

We have not installed any of these happy D toilets but have installed a few German and Italian ones. There is a German company making adapter fittings for various toilet conversions.

Are you sure it does not install onto a Gerberit Wall Carrier?

Never once seen a toilet with a 8" waste pipe. Never seen one with a 8" off the wall rough in.

You might consider building out the wall of your condo 4" and use the space for some recessed shelving and medicine cabinets. This might solve your problem.

We did this here for this Italian toilet.

Toilet was made in Italy.

Carrier was made in England.

Adapter fitting was made in Germany.

Took two Canadians to install.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Another shot of using the build out to build recessed shelving

This toilet adapter required us to build out the wall about 5.25" - We used this space to build four recessed cubes. To the right of the toilet is the matching bidet.

Some times less space nets more space!

JW

All the lighting in this job is LED. Worked on this project for about four to five months. One very expensive bathroom! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The technical drawings http://www.duravit.us/website/homepage/products/product_overview/series/happy_d.us-en.html/p-93027 show the actual outlet of the toilet at 4-1/8" in diameter. The 8" I think you are referring to (the drawing lists it at 8-7/8") is from the floor to the centerline of the outlet at their recommended height (course that could be anything you prefer that's comfortable to you). They do not list the installation instructions nor the carrier, but it only shows two bolt holes for holding it in place. A normal carrier has 4, but I've read some only use two of them. I'm not sure how well that allows you to compress the seal, but let's assume they know what they're doing.

carolynKat

Reaction score
Lin,

Did you ever figure out a way to put in your toilet? Your situation sounds exactly like mine. My building in NYC also installed crane toilets where the roughing is back to back with units on the other side. At this point I would settle for a floor mount Duravit. Did you ever find a solution?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Carolyn, a couple of questions...

Does your toilet currently discharge into the wall? Or, like most toilets, does it discharge into the floor? You can tell: if there's a gap between the back of the lower part of the toilet and the wall, then it is going to be discharging into the floor. You can also open the tank and give us the model number of the toilet you have, which should be written in there, and we can confirm.

Right now, your choices in rear-discharge, floor-mounted non-weird brand toilets are limited. There's the Kohler Barrington, the American Standard Yorkville, the Mansfield Quantum, Gerber Ultra-flush and a few others. These will just slide right in, and easily replace your Crane, if it is indeed a rear-discharge toilet. All are Sloan Flushmate pressure-assist toilets. All are utilitarian, not decorator stuff. But all will work. Start messing around with trying to get the Happy D to drain into your American connection, and you run the risk of not being "happy" with the flush. Just my 2 cents.

We use Maccarone Plumbing regularly; they are based on Long Island but do a lot of work in the City. I have only used them in the house on Long Island, but they are excellent, and may give you a better insight on hooking up something snazzy in a way that works. In the city, the building's folks have been able to do anything I have needed so far, but they have had some unfortunate ideas when it comes to toilets, so for now I haven't had them replace what came with the apartment.

As to the back-to-back issue, the problem is that you don't know what fixture fittings are in the wall. Some fittings wouldn't give you a problem with a higher-flush-volume toilet; others will. The issue will be that some of the water skips across and siphons the bowl on the other side of the wall. If the Crane isn't doing it, then maybe just maybe the ones I mentioned won't as well. The Cranes, most of which are discontinued, use a gravity flush rather than a pressure-assist, and thus may not cause a siphon where the ones I mentioned will... You really just don't know until you try it.

If you have a floor-discharge, you have a zillion good options in the Toto line that will look as good as the Duravits and perform a lot better. The Duravit in-tank wall-mount toilets work fine, but the rest of the stuff has been the subject of a fair number of complaints on here, and their customer service draws a lot of complaints as well; in contrast, the Toto folks are universally-praised for being responsive and knowledgeable.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears to be a floor mount toilet with a rear outlet, (that would be why it only needs two bolts), which means you CANNOT "adjust" it higher or lower by moving the toilet. I also cannot imagine there being enough room behind it for a "offset" so you either need to deepen the wall to make some kind of "S" curve or get a different toilet. There is nothing wrong with a wall hung toilet, but when you get into "exotic ones" then you do have problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks