Hansgrohe iBox Universal

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Kestrel, May 8, 2012.

1. Kestrel

Kestrel New Member

My basement remodel continues....

I got great advise here about my DWV system, and it's working great. I'm now roughing in the bathroom, and I'm trying to decide on a shower system. I'm leaning toward the Hansgrohe - a thermostatic valve with integral diverter to control a showerhead and a handshower. So far, so good.

Thing is, their universal rough in box is for 3/4 and I had plumbed 1/2 over to the shower, off of a 3/4 line. Is there any problem running the 1/2 to near the rough in, and then soldering on a 1/2-3/4 adaptor, and running 3/4 the rest of the short way to the valve. (and then 3/4 from the valve to the showerhead and the handshower?

Thanks!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can run 1/2" to the I-Box or 3/4"
    It's made to work many different ways. The iBox below has 3/4" in which can bush down to 1/2"

[​IMG]
    1 front
    [​IMG]
    2 top
    [​IMG]
    3 side
    [​IMG]
    4 back
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  3. Kestrel

Kestrel New Member

Thanks Terry!
  4. Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang New Member

I'm using the iBox in my current bathroom remodel. The iBox unit itself comes with three brass 3/4" x 1/2" bushings inside the package. Just buy one extra if you plan on using 1/2" for all your piping.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  5. HGTech

HGTech HansGrohe

Besides the 3/4" by 1/2" bushing you can use a 3/4" by 1/2" copper male adaptor with the I-Box. Just sweat it up and cool before you thread it in. In you installation it sounds like you will be using a shower head and hand shower. In this case you will only be trying for 5 GPM. Either case the thermostatic trim with volume control and diverter will do 8 GPM max. 1/2" pipe will be adequate for this. I would stay with 1/2" pipe from the I-Box to the shower heads. This is because the 3/4" pipe will store more water when not in use and take a few seconds longer to purge out when warming up the shower. Feel free to call me at Hansgrohe 1-800-334-0455 press 2 for tech and ask for David.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote: Just buy one extra if you plan on using 1/2" for all your piping.

You would only use the fourth opening if you use the trim with the integral diverter. You cannot use a diverter spout with the I-Box. It comes with the 3/4x1/2 brass bushings.
  7. chihashu

chihashu New Member

I read that the 3/4 x 1/2 bushings are no longer included when you buy the ibox. Can anyone confirm, if so then what is the part # and where can I corder? Thanks