Handle Replacement options

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jerome8283, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Hey guys,

I would like to replace my shower/tub handle. It's a standard single Moen handle, it pulls to turn on the water, left/right -- hot/cold and pull stem on the spout to turn on the shower. I would like a lever handle if possible. What are my options? I've attached pics.

Attached Files:

2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You do not have a lot of options, but there may be some. Moen used to have a lever handle option available for that Legend series valve. I don't know if they still make it., but an aftermarket company may. Take your handle and escutcheon plate into a large pluming store ( NOT a home store). They should be able to help.
  3. Peanut9199

Peanut9199 Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale

It's funny i switched my Moen handle to lever from Moen's trim kit and the weight of the lever actually turned the valve back to the center.
    I think because the handle was so heavy and the cartridge is that plastic piece of &*^!.
    So be careful unless your like the temperature of the water at the center.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  4. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Which trim kit?
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Go to this link and plug in the info in the pull down menus to see what trim parts are available there are...
    There are 9 with levers and 10 with knobs for you to select from.

Click here for Moen replacement parts.

The problem peanut mentions is a possibility with the levers and a new (loose) cartridge.
  6. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

I went there earlier but what's not clear to me is do those kits at that link require that I replace the cartridge or any of the plumbing?
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

No the basic valve is the same.

You just need to find your valve and the associated part numbers for the trim and knob then compare to what you want to have and install the differing parts.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Moen

Moen has many different trim kits available, but you have to choose from the Chateau or Moentrol line.
  9. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The devil is in the details. I think your Legend has the escutcheon screws at 5 and 7 oclock. I dont think they have any trim for that. The Legend Moentrol has screws at 2 and 7.

All the valves on the website labeled as "PosiTemp" : NONE of those parts will fit your valve at all.
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

If the questions with the pulldown menus at that link are correctly answered only the proper valves will show up. The exception being the answer for "does your faucet have a knob or lever?" That you would have to answer lever to see what you want.
  11. shaolin_dragon

shaolin_dragon New Member

Moen does make a trim kit for the standard valve. it is a Monticello style model T2529 (tub/shower) or T2524 (shower only). This is a direct trim kit that will attach to the wall, providing the screws are definitely at 5 & 7. Legend as far as i know, does have them.

This is the spec sheet for the above trim kit.

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/T2529sp.pdf