Handheld Shower Diverter in Stall Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

John414

Reaction score
I want to install an optional handheld shower in a shower stall and need a 2-way diverter to switch between the handheld and the fixed shower head. Who makes such a diverter, preferably with 1/2" sweat inlet and outlets?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What about just a pushbutton diverter tee at the end of the shower arm? These are available anywhere.

John414

Reaction score
That won't work for me, as I have to make it accessible to a person who is partially handicapped and needs to sit down in the shower. I want to install a diverter valve directly above the main control valve. I suppose I could cap off one of the outlets on a 3-way diverter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

If you are going to install it in the wall, many companies make a two way diverter, and ALL of them tell you not to cap the third outlet on a three way diverter.

John414

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a specific brand or model? I failed to find one in the Delta or Kohler online catalogues. A Google search turns up hundreds of irrelevant links.

John414

Reaction score
By searching in Google for "2-way in-wall diverter" I found the American Standard 1660.440, which will do the job. It costs more than the Delta 1704 thermostatic control valve, probably reflecting the absence of competition in diverters.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the companies make them...if you don't match the brand and the style to what you have, the handle won't match, but that may not be a big factor.

Chris Tittle

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Handheld diverter

I'm in the process of converting my shower to ADA compliant. I was able to purchase a Delta setup for a tub/shower that is ADA compliant and just routed the tub spout outlet to the desired location to attach the wand. My plumber inspected the installation when I had him out to install my floor and shower drain in my slab. According to him it'll work fine.

Chris

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks