Hand-wash sink drain indirectly?

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I did a small job for someone. The inspector failed the job based on a Hand-wash sink in a commercial kitchen. The sink drains into a trench drain that's about ten feet away. He says that's not allowed and that it needs to be trapped and vented and drain into the drainage system and can't drain by way of indirect piping into the trench drain.

I didn't push for a code section that was violated, but I looked and can't find it. Does anyone know what he's talking about? UPC

By the way I didn't pipe this part of it, it was existing. He said it should have never been done like that.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
From a brief skimming of Chapters 10 and 8, not comprehensive:

The general rule in 1001.2 is "Each plumbing fixture shall be separately trapped by an approved type of liquid seal trap." 1014 has some rules on grease interceptors, but 1014.1.1 states "Each fixture discharging into a grease interceptor shall be individually trapped and vented in an approved manner."

Looking at Chapter 8, it's possible that 801.3.3 or 801.4 would apply and allow the indirect waste, but I'm not so familiar with those sections.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Generaly those hand wash sinks are connected with p trap and vented not going to a floor sink . I really didnt do that many comercial kitchens maybe it falls under 1014.1.1 Really sucks not to know the exact code and be wondering why he failed it . I think its the inspectors duty to tell you the code specificaly so that we can do our job better . and him do his job better its possible he is wrong , Im thinking there is something there that he is right but sure want to know myself .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks