Hand Held Shower Head Jumps when water turned on

Users who are viewing this thread

G33CHRIS

Reaction score
I recently had a bath remodel. When I turn on the shower water begins to flow, stops, and then flows again and Just before the flow begins again the shower head jumps then it flows normally. How can I correct this. I am currently holding the shower head in my hand so when the head jumps it is not putting pressure on the pipes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two things that come to mind...a handheld requires a vacuum breaker (back-flow preventer) and may have a removeable flow restrictor. Either of those could cause the problem. Also, if there's any crud caught in the water path, that could do it. If you used pipe tape (teflon) to make the connections (not normally required as the hoses generally have their own seals in them), that may be flapping around on the inlet, causing problems. If the head comes off of the hose, remove it, run the water and see if anything flushes out or if it jumps. this may help to isolate where the issue is.

G33CHRIS

Reaction score
I did remove the showerhead and it still jumps when I turn on the water. I did use Teflon tape on the shower arm

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The shower arm, normally does require tape or pipe dope. But, if there was excess, and there's a flap in the waterway, that can create problems.

If you did not use a drop-ear el and anchor it properly, the pipe will move. The drop-ear el has lugs on it for screws to attach it to blocking behind the wall.

G33CHRIS

Reaction score
I just removed the hose, made sure the teflon tape was not blocking the flow. I noticed the washer was not seated flat so I laid it flat. I ran the water w/o the hose and there was no jump so it must be the shower head, hose. I did run it and it didn't jump. It was an expensive showerhead, I have a far cheaper one in another bathroom that works great.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks