Hand dug water well

Users who are viewing this thread

hunte567

Reaction score
Hey guys Im digging a shallow water well with a hand auger. (im too old for this) I got down to 17' so far. The first 5' was clay, then the next 6' was dry sand. Then wet sand for the next 5'. It started filling up with water but I went down another foot and hit some real dark sand I think but I could hear it gurgling. Im in east TX and all the drillers said I would have to go to about 65' for a shallow well. We've had a ton of rain and the lake is way up. Should I keep going, I don't want it to dry up this summer. How much farther should I go. Thanks, for the help, Neil

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
65' is not really a very shallow well. It would be very difficult to dig with an auger. An auger works ok until you hit water or wet sand. Then you need a mud circulation rig to get the cuttings (dirt) to come out the top. For someone with a mud rotary rig, 65' is a shallow well and shouldn't cost that much to have drilled, cased, gravel packed, and cemented properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks