Hammer Noise at Pressure Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

wessonGT

Reaction score
Hello all expert plumbers,
Novice here. I have recently bought my first home. We have since started to settle in. I have noticed an issue with our pressure tank. The problem seems to be that when the pressure leaving the tank drops below 40psi the pressure drastically drops to about 30psi immediately and when the pump kicks on it jumps back up to 40psi. When this "surge" from 30-40 happens(very quickly) a loud hammering noise is heard. The pump continues to cycle correctly until the pressure reaches cut-off(around 51-52psi). No noise(except for normal clicking on the contacts on the pressure switch) is heard at cut-off. Is my pressure tank set too high?
If it helps any, the pressure tank and all plumbing in house was updated before I moved in and is all brand new. As the home is recently remodeled, I would be the first to ever use the system.

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

I can also provide video and pictures of the set up.

Thanks in advanced.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You have too much air in the pressure tank. If the pump kicks on at 40, you only want 35 PSI air in the tank. So either you have too much air charge in the tank, or the bladder is already broken and there is water on top of the bladder.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
To add to this, the air is measured with a different gauge than what the water pressure is so you need to calibrate the two since most often neither are accurate.

Also, an old pressure switch can get built up with mineral encrustation under the diaphragm and delay the start below what it should be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks