Hairline crazing on toilet glaze - is it serious?

Users who are viewing this thread

Plan9

Reaction score
I noticed a what I thought was a "hairline crack" on the front of my toilet base... but I think its more appropriately called "crazing" on the glaze (the toilet's about 30 years, small wonder - but is otherwise in good condition). There is nothing on the tank or inside the bowl. I'd like to know if glaze crazing on the outside of the bowl is serious enough to warrant paying a plumber to replace the toilet. Can the bowl just shatter by itself even before such defects show up on the inside? Also, is it serious if the bowl cracks, or is the tank holding the bulk of the water the main concern?

plan9_toilet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A cracked tank could lead to major water damage since it is controlled and supplied with virtually unlimited water...the level drops, it tries to refill it. A cracked bowl can only leak whatever water is in it, and unless it does something unusual, would still hold the tank up, so that would not be emptied, and thus not need to run. The crazing in itself if mostly cosmetic. Crazing tends to be sort of a cross-hatching. If it is a single straight line, that may imply the start of a crack, and that could be more serious.

What you will find is that a newer toilet will use LOTS less water, probably sweat less or not at all in the humid summer, and refill faster. Replacing a toilet normally isn't all that hard, and many people successfully do it themselves, but a straight swap usually isn't a really big job. You should take the opportunity to change the shutoff valve and supply line from it to the toilet, if you choose to replace the toilet.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think it is crazing. Could it be the crack was there a the time of glazing, and you just did not notice before? Remember how far the crack has progressed. If it rises to near where the surface transitions from mostly vertical to where it starts going more horizontal (1.5 inches???) look to replace the toilet. That could be another 30 years.

Now if you were looking for a reason to get a new toilet, or if it now bothers you every time you look at it, start shopping immediately.

Plan9

Reaction score
I'm looking for reason to avoid getting a new toilet actually, because I like my toilet a lot. But if there's a danger it will break when I'm not there and cause water damage, then of course I will need to replace it. I can say that hairline was not there at the time of manufacture. I'm not sure if its growing. It might have occurred when the toilet used to rock, but now it is stable. However, I can not really feel it under my finger, so is it still considered a "crack" or a non-urgent glazing defect that does not weaken the porcelain underneath?

Are you saying if the defect transitions up to where it reaches the bowl (which it is not far from), then its time to replace the toilet?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Well, something you said may be a reason for the crack...when it did rock, how did you stabilize it? If you just tightened up the bolts, the crack is likely a result of that. When a toilet rocks on the floor, you need to add shims to stabilize it, then snug up the bolts...IOW, it must be stable before you tighten the bolts up, and then the bolts really shouldn't be all that tight...porcelain doesn't have much flex!

Once a crack starts, it usually continues. Think about a new one, watch the crack...maybe put a piece of tape at the end so you have a good marker and see if and how fast it grows.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying if the defect transitions up to where it reaches the bowl (which it is not far from), then its time to replace the toilet?
Yes. Re-thinking, if it gets half way there, I would get moving to give yourself some time.

Plan9

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The toilet was re-seated by professional contractors, who also redid the floors and rest of the bathroom. The initial problem was the bolts had rusted and loosened the fixture. Since the bathroom redo, I also put caulking around most of the perimeter of the toilet, and have not experienced rocking since. The tape is a great idea. I think I will go with that, so I can see if the crack expands. If it goes any further, I will replace the toilet. If it remains as it is, and since there is no crack inside the bowl, it would seem to be safe enough to continue using it.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There are some internal passageways in the toilet bowl (those that go to the rim holes and maybe a siphon jet), so it doesn't have to be through into the bowl to become a problem. But, most of them don't have any water in them except when you flush it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks