hairline cracks on old toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

timbowl

Reaction score
the 40 yr old toilet has light or hairline cracks in the glaze; some radiate from one seat hole and the others in the bowl top and a few starting down the bowl inside; I am guessing condition started about a year ago. what should my concerns be ? timbowl

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Think about replacing it! My guess is that either you put a new seat on it, or someone applied some sideways pressure to the existing seat. With a new seat, you may have tightened the bolts too tight or didn't install the resilient gaskets that usually come with it. Is the seat a heavy painted wood one thatgot slammed down one too many times? Are the rubber bumpers still there? Both of them? Significant twisting of the seat can occur if one or more of the set of rubber bumpers on the seat are gone.

If it was cracking around the flange bolts at the bottom, it could be that something eithermoved the drain line, or there may be some rot and the floor around the toilet is sagging slightly, but you indicated it was up top. If it is a two piece and it is cracking from the back towards the area where the seat is bolted down, someone may have really banged against the tank (maybe a really big person collapsing onto the toilet or really slamming into the back).

New toilets will use probably less than 1/3 of the water your old one is using. If you pick one with good specs, it will work as well, too (there are some dogs out there).

timbowl

Reaction score
You Might BE Right, The Seats[plural] Have Been A Problem. New Seats Properly Installed Always Loosen Up On The Same Side, The Normal Retightening Step Doesnt Seem To Work Long.at 240 # I Can Place A Lot Of Torque Or Stress On The Same Side. Thanks Timbowl

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks