Had the old well removed. Looking for advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Protofax

Reaction score
I had my 125 foot well removed the other day. It was from the 1950s. It would turn on just fine, but it was barely pumping any water. The bottom of the tail pipe was full of holes. The rest of the piping was in good shape but with some build up inside the outer casing. It all unscrewed with a bit of force. He said the whole thing had to be replaced, so I had them just take it with them when they left.

Water is at 75 feet. I want to be able to get 10-15 GPM at 60 PSI for irrigation on my lawn. I have old sprinkler heads that may require a bit more than 10 GPM per zone. I am not entirely sure on this. I just know for sure they require much higher PSI than city water. The old pressure switch was set to 40-60. It is for only for irrigation because I am on city water for the inside of the house. The pressure tank is around 300 gallons.

Would a 1.5hp 30 GPM $1195 franklin electric pump be able to get 10-15 GPM at 60 PSI? From what I have read, it should easily do that and then some. Is this correct? Also, with the pressure tank being so huge, wouldn't it be able to hold 60 PSI for a long time even if GPM was not high enough to maintain it?

Should I just do PVC for the outer casing and used galv steel for the inner part? I am trying to go with cheaper options here because I only use this 3-4 months out of the year anyways.

The well guy is trying to convince me to go with more HP. He is actually offering me an used pump instead that does not have a built in control box. That he said would be $800 extra just for the box. I just don't want to pay more if I don't need to. I also feel like if I go with used I am taking a gamble since there is no warranty on the pump. The new one has a 3 year. I may sell the house in 2-3 years and I want to be certain it does not become a surprise cost when I sell.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is a chart for 15 gallon pumps showing expected GPM at different water depths and surface pipe pressure.

Also, I think you had the drop pipe and pump removed. The well (casing and hole) still exists I expect. What diameter is your casing?

Attachments

• huge1.png
    huge1.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 364

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
$800 means a VFD, stay away stay away. All you need is a 15 to 18GPM 3/4HP.

So no one makes a good water pump with a VFD ?

I know most suck and make plenty if RFI.

I did not know they did not pump water.

In some locations if you are on city water, a well is prohibited. And the well needs to be sealed, so it can not contaminate the water supply.

Did you get a permit ?

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Protofax

Reaction score
I don't think I need a permit because I am repairing an existing well that still functioned at least somewhat. This property has had the well since the 1950s. The well people told me that I don't need one. Only thing regarding this on the city ordinance website is that an abandoned well has to be filled. It does not mention replacement or repair. The county website only mentions that prior to installing a well, a permit would be required.

As far as what was removed. It was an inner steel pipe that was surrounded by an outer steel pipe. The outer pipe looked like 4 inches with the inner one looking like around 1 inch. The top of the hole has an 8 or so opening. I just see a few inches of pipe and then darkness from there.

They took it all with them saying that it was junk. The 3rd picture is the tail pipe.

Monday Edit: Okay, I talked to the well guy again. The outer casing is 8 inches and still there. I guess I didn't realize that at first. Only the drop pipe was removed. He is saying 1hp should do it fine per zone, but I am going with 1.5hp because it is only $200 more. This way I can possible do two at a time or use the hose while using the sprinklers.

Final Edit: I had the new drop pipe and pump put in today. It is using PVC 1 3/4 inch and doing 19 GPM out of a rated 30 on the pump. Total cost for removal and installation was $3081. This was with 22.5 man hours and a $1200 pump. Also got a new pressure gauge, pressure switch, a little piping, and a new seal at the top.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks