Had the flapper replaced now issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Carmin

Reaction score
Hi: this is my first time on your site, I was doing a search and lucky found it. My first issue is I had my flapper replaced on an old American Standard toilet just last week and now after a few hours the unit generates water to make up for loss water. I put some coloring in the tank and noticed that the color flows into the bowl. It can take anywhere from 1 to 4 hours. I had a plumber do the work since the cut off values were also replaced. Do you have any suggestions? Any assistance would be appreciated. Ciao for now PS:I have a few more questions which I will post separately.

Carmin

Reaction score
I have some pictures hope it helps a little.

Attachments

• 1488922582327.jpg
    1488922582327.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 1488922582938.jpg
    1488922582938.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 305
  • 20170307_094819.jpg
    20170307_094819.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 294

Reach4

Reaction score
You could take a cloth, and rub the seat where the black rubber thing sits. The plan would be to remove any debris.

Looking at your photos, it looks like there is wire rod that actually lifts the black thing. In most flappers, a chain, which is limp, is used to lift the flapper. In your case, I think your black thing is not really a flapper as such, but rather is a "tank ball". Does your toilet ever require the use of a plunger? If so, you might want to consider just getting that toilet replaced with a newer model. The new ones work better usually. A new toilet every 40 years is worthwhile.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Carmin

Reaction score
Hi Reach4: I tried to use a cloth to wipe the crime away but it is still an issue. It is more of a tank ball; sorry to mislead you I just did not know the term. As far as replacing the toilet, it is an American Standard sea foam green (which is impossible to replace or find and goes with the color of the bathroom)
clip_image001.png
The sad part is it works very well with no other issues and I am confused by the modern choices and the cheapness and lack of quality of what is now being offered. I know it may come to that but I was hoping that you master’s may have a short term solution to the problem. I was wondering if the black rubber ring the tank ball sits on may be the issue. It appears to be wearing away. If that is the case can I replace myself? Thanks again:)

JRC3

Reaction score
I had an early 1950s AS just like that one for over 15 years. You can't clog it. Mine had a chain instead of the linkage and It'd break about every few years Until I adjusted the water level halfway down to take the pressure off the chain. Still couldn't clog the thing.

One thing to look for is the bracket that holds the ball/plunger, the thing the rod slides through. It may have rotated on the overflow tube so it isn't centered directly over the flush valve. This can keep the valve from seating properly. The bracket, ball, and seat must all be centered with each other.

You might also try cleaning the ball seat. It will be nasty and will dye you fingers so wear rubber gloves. Just hold the ball up and clean where it sits/contacts, this is where the water leaves the tank to flow into the bowl.

Reach4

Reaction score
OK. Good reason to keep it.

I am not a plumber or other pro.

I would feel the seat for any deposits or nicks.

I would use some silicone plumber's grease, and rub the seat and mating part of the tank ball with that. I have a tube of Molykote 111 that I use for O-rings etc, and I would use that because I have it. I bought it to lube the O-rings for my water cartridge filters. If I were buying for just this one time, I am not sure what I would buy. OK, I would buy another 5.x ounce tube of Molykote 111 because it lasts forever, and it can be used for more than one plumbing thing. It is fairly thick/viscous as silicone greases go.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/toilet-parts.html#tankball has some parts and pictures. Some of the tank balls may be softer than others. Softer would be able to conform to seat imperfections better.

There is another possibility or two. You could get the flush valve replaced, or you could get a flush valve repair kit. The repair glues a new seat onto the old seat, and it replaces the tank ball with a flapper. However going through the http://m.korky.com/home.php troubleshooting guide makes me suspect that those repairs may not be compatible with the old toilets.

A little refill water every 3 hours is not all that bad.

Last edited:

Carmin

Reaction score
Hi all I have to leave now to get ready for the snow storm which we are going to get slammed tomorrow. Will report back to all who have offered sound advice. Ciao

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One thing to consider is that your "flush valve" will usually NOT accept a flapper and if you do use one it WILL continue to leak water. With a tank ball, which is what you have, the lower wire MUST be straight, the guide MUST be centered over the opening at the bottom of the tank, and the upper wire must be the proper length.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks