Had a leaker...

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Newer home, installed new toilets to replace builder grade crap. 6th Toto toilet I've put in (one was a repeat for a warped tank that I had to return through supply house), one more to go tomorrow (7th) since it was a late order. Toto should give me a percentage on every move I do...they could classify it as missionary work.

Anyway, had a slow leak this time. In the past I've followed Terry's advice of sanding the bolt holes a little before install. But this time because of the move I couldn't find my emory cloth quickly/easily...and the tank was a little rougher than normal, probably the roughest inside a Toto that I've seen. I wiped it but didn't sand and put it in anyway, all seemed good for the first hour. Noticed a few days later on a recheck that I had some very slow drips. Couldn't seal the leak and it appeared to be a tank bolt on one side. It might have been tank to bowl gasket but didn't look like it (while the bolt on one side had a film on inner tank surface when removed that suggested a leak.) Had good 3-point contact and didn't overtighten either.

So tonight I pulled the tank, removed both sets of bolts, reversed rubber washers and swapped them to the other side. Sanded the holes inside the tank. Reinstalled and all seems tight.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Toto should give me a percentage on every move I do...they could classify it as missionary work.

You may want to notify Toto about the problem you had, listing all the info from the box labels. Maybe they will tighten up the QC a might. Glad you got it all sorted out. I'm already thinking of taking my Totos with me should I ever move again. :D

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It isn't necessary to use emery cloth. While that's great if you have it, but a fairly coarse piece of regular sand paper will work OK. You just need to get high spots knock down. Probably many times it wouldn't cause a problem if you did nothing, but sanding is a quick and easy step to avoid a possible problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks