Hach 5b Hardness Test kit question

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by mrmichaeljmoore, Nov 21, 2013.

1. mrmichaeljmoore

mrmichaeljmoore New Member

Quick question for the experts.....

I have a Hach 5b Hardness test kit that I use to periodically test my water to ensure my softener is working properly.
    It expired in July 2011.

Does anyone know if the test kit will still give accurate hardness results?

Just curious...before I shell out $30 for a new kit.

Thanks.
    mm
  2. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

the proper answer is no, it must be replaced.

The real answer, it should be just fine. I have probably 10 Hach 5B kits in my garage that I have collectoed over the years. Several are over 10 years old. They are still accurate enough for testing a softener.

Maybe get yourself a new kit for Christmas?
  3. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

The question here is has he been naughty or nice? :)
  4. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Hopefully naughty. Then he may get a lot more then just a Hach 5B test kit!
  5. fantomas

fantomas New Member

I just picked up a Hach 5b kit last week (never bother to check for an expiration date). If you are in the Middletown/Cromwell area I could let you take a few samples with mine to see if they match up with your kit.