Habitat ReStore for getting rid of old toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I "recycled" my old toilets today. If some of you are considering replacing an old toilet, and feel bad about disposing of the old one, this might be of interest to you.

The Habitat for Humanity ReStore was happy to take the donation of my three 1994 Gerber 1.6 gpf toilets. I had cleaned them up, but was straightforward about their weak flush performance. I looked at what they had in the showroom, and mine were in better shape. Surprisingly, they ask $35 for toilets. So that's a nice tax write off, and certainly better than paying disposal fees.

It certainly beats the practice down South, which was apparently to chuck the old toilet onto any piece of property you could find. Every time I looked at acreage in Texas there was an old toilet (or several) on it somewhere. When I finally found property without an old toilet, I considered it a divine sign and promptly bought it.

ChuckS

Reaction score
My grandparents lived in Alexandria LA and used an old toilet for a planter. In fact they had two of them. I never associated the scene but people did have old toilets in their yards and my grandparents still had a working outhouse.

Thanks for the chuckle... :D

Reaction score
The 1994 Gerber was rated at 150 grams.
They would plug just by looking at them.

And we used Northern toilet paper...

We only used these Gerbers for the past year and a half, but got pretty good at avoiding clogs after the first few. The worst clog making type was a large, amorphous, semi-soft BM that would sink but fill the siphon reservoir, followed by a few sheets of TP. It seemed to form the ideal plug consistency so that the siphon would pack stubbornly right at the start of the flush. My old hand auger died trying to clear on of these...corrosion of the coil.

Interestingly, one of the three toilets never plugged. It had the benefit of being on the highest level, but it got some of the heaviest use. It was still a lousy toilet with a small water spot and poor bowl rinse, but it was sufficiently robust when it came to flushing. The other two were the ones that required some TP rule development.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It is nice that now there are toilets ( Toto) that don't need anything more than a flush and occasional normal cleaning maintenance..

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I donated my old AS to Habitat. They told me what day they'd be by to pick it up, I just put it on the side of the house for them. Done deal.

My brother donated quite a bit of stuff to them from his ongoing house remodel project. They will pretty much take anything.

I also feel better donating to them than some of the other outfits out there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks