H2S, carbon and air input needed

Users who are viewing this thread

MagKarl

Reaction score
I have mild H2S in my water. Constant in both hot and cold. I originally bought an all in one iron softener with KDF, but you guys talked me out of the KDF. The softener is working great, but I do need to do something about the H2S.

I'm having trouble making the decision as to activated versus catalytic carbon, and whether or not I should get an air injection valve.

Obviously the catalytic carbon and the air injection are more expensive. Does the extra money get you significantly longer life or better performance?

I am also concerned with pressure drop with another tank, are the carbon tank service flow numbers based on the assumption of treating really nasty water, or based on flow impedance?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Carbon (Granular Activated Carboc) service flow rates are based on removal of multiple chemicals including VOC THMs Chlorine, etc. The Carbon will flow much higher than the service flows but lower removal rates will occur. Chlorine removal rates will usually remain very high even at higher flow rates. For H2S, I would recommend a catalytic GAC, but many people use standard GAC with great success. You should not notice a flow reduction if you install a good quality and properly sized GAC. I would recommend at least a 1.5 cu. ft. or parger unit.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wiki says : Granulated Activated carbon, also called activated charcoal, activated coal, or carbo activatus, is a form of carbon processed to be riddled with small, low-volume pores that increase the surface area available for adsorption or chemical reactions.[1] Activated is sometimes substituted with active.

Due to its high degree of microporosity, just one gram of activated carbon has a surface area in excess of 500 m2, as determined by adsorption isotherms of carbon dioxide gas at room or 0.0 °C temperature. An activation level sufficient for useful application may be attained solely from high surface area; however, further chemical treatment often enhances adsorption properties.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Ill have to add that bit of information to my training seminars. I rarely go into it that technically during my training seminars, but that just sounds good!

Anyone attending the Pentair University in October? Word has it we may get to play with the EDI unit.

MagKarl

Reaction score
Seems the flow rate for carbon of either type is only about 2gpm/ft^3, so ~4gpm for a 2cf tank. What kind of service flow can I really get through a 2cf tank without a noticeable pressure drop? They say flows of 2-3x the specified service flow are possible. I plan to install this after my 1.5cf softener, so it's not going to be seeing any iron, just H2S.

Price for regular GAC looks to be ballpark about $100cf, catalytic about $200cf. Does the catalytic pencil out and last twice as long or subjectively work twice as well? Realistically, what should I expect for rebed frequency? I'm thinking maybe 3-4 years?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Catalytic carbon on paper is better than standard GAC for H2S. The flow rate of a 2 cu. ft. with a 7000 valve will peak in the 17-20 GPM range. Service flows are as you stated, much lower. Take a good look at your house and try to determine the actual peak usage, not a theoretical peak. Do you regularly run the laundry, dishwasher, 2 shoers, flush toilets, and use faucets all at the same time? Not likely, so a 2 Cu. Ft. GAC should definetly meet your needs.

What level of iron do you have? You may find a much better solution for H2S and iron. Can you post a recent water test? If you own a well, a proper test is relatively cheap and should be done every year or so.

MagKarl

Reaction score
I only have about 1ppm iron and 6-7 grains hardness.

I also considered a Filox tank, but thought with the low level iron being taken out by thr softener, that carbon might offer an overall better water taste and smell. I also have concerns about ORP with Filox. Does catalytic carbon have the same needs?

Ideally I will get a tank and valve that will work for either in case I want to switch things around later.

MagKarl

Reaction score
I ordered a 2cf Centaur unit with a 7000SXT head on it. I'll give an update in a few weeks once I've got it running.

MagKarl

Reaction score
I got the equipment today. I filled the tank with the carbon and water, I'll let it soak till the weekend. That was a dusty job, and that 7000 valve is HUGE!

The instructions recommend chlorinating the well and all plumbing. Do you guys think that is a good idea, I hate to do it unnecessarily but will if it's the right way to make sure this is started up correctly.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would. It's not a bad idea to flush any bacteria from the whole system before you put the carbon filter onliune. Bacteria grow profusely in carbon media.

MagKarl

Reaction score
Does the carbon system itself need to be disinfected? I was assuming it would be wise to put the carbon and softener on bypass when doing this.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Carbon will stop any chlorine from going through so sanitizing can be difficult if not impossisble. If bacteria becomes a concern, changing the carbon regulalry will help minimize this issue. The systems should be bypassed during sanitization, but the softener can be sanitized seperately by adding a small amount of bleach to the brine tank and regenerating the system. This should be done rarely as chlorine will damage resin over time. A single sanitization will not affect it in any way that you would notice.

Starting up Centaur carbon, soaking it for a few days is highly advised, as well as running it through multiple backwash/fast rinse cycles prior to running it to your house.

Congrats, you got yourself a great system.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm about to rebed my carbon filter with Centaur carbon, and have an extra 10x54 tank to use to get it set up, soaked, etc. I obviously can't use the existing bottom basket (if any) and pipe from the controller (a 2510, I think). I'd have to disassemble the running tank to find out how it was set up, and would rather not do that. What sort of bottom basket should I use, and once that's in, how long do I cut off the pipe to mate up with the controller -- even with the top of the tank?

ditttohead

Reaction score
I recommend the Fleck 40922 bottom screen. This is a high flow, fine screen heavy duty bottom screen. Use 1/10 of a cubic foot of a garnet underbedding (8x12 is common) Assuming it is going into the 2510, the Fleck and Clack valves all go level with the tank. http://www.pentairwatertreatment.co...Bulletins/388-New High Flow Distributors2.pdf Here is the link to the specs and info on this bottom screen. Do not use a cheap bottom screen. Use only the heavy Fleck or Heavy Clack versions.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm pretty sure the old installation used rock, not garnet, but I've always wanted to see the difference, so what better time?

Are these available on line anywhere? I'm coming up empty after 15 minutes of searching...

Last edited:

MagKarl

Reaction score
I plumbed in my new carbon filter yesterday and it seems to be working great. Nothing to taste or smell at all now.

MagKarl

Reaction score
I would appreciate some input on backwash/rapid rinse duration and frequency. Right now the BW and RR are 10 minutes each, 3 day cycle. Treating softened water primarily for mild H2S with 2cf of Centaur.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks