Gutter downspout drainage

Users who are viewing this thread

DanM

Reaction score
I am planning on rerouting the gutter downspouts in front of my house to a 4" pipe that will drain at the driveway. The yard has a natural slope, so I am not worried about pitch. I can use some advice and technical info on the project.

1. Should I use corrugated pipe or rigid PVC? Will corrugated pipe be damaged if it needs to be rodded out due to a clog?
2. Should I do a straight drain or a french drain?
3. There are 4 downspouts that can be routed to the drain pipe. Will a 4" drain pipe handle more than 1 downspout?
4. Any other advice on the project?

Thanks!!

Dan

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use the green 4" SDR 35, it's smooth so nothing will hang up and won't be damaged by a cleaning. The white stuff with the black liner will collapse and sch 40 is too expensive.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I am planning on rerouting the gutter downspouts in front of my house to a 4" pipe that will drain at the driveway. The yard has a natural slope, so I am not worried about pitch. I can use some advice and technical info on the project.

1. Should I use corrugated pipe or rigid PVC? Will corrugated pipe be damaged if it needs to be rodded out due to a clog?

ads-pipe.jpg

The corrugated pipe can't be rodded out (where you planning to have a cleanout tee in the line?) but if you use the 4" with the perforations and covered with a sock, the water can drain into ground along its path - assuming you have good soil for drainage.
2. Should I do a straight drain or a french drain?
I think it depends on the soil type around your house. Straight drain is probably safer if you don't know your soil drainage characteristics.

3. There are 4 downspouts that can be routed to the drain pipe. Will a 4" drain pipe handle more than 1 downspout?
Again, can't say. What size downspouts are they? What is slope of roof (how many gallons/min. come of roof)? With that said, I would think more than one downspout would not be a problem.

4. Any other advice on the project?

Thanks!!

Dan

I'm not an expert by any means, but I did a similar project in FL where soil is sandy and has good drainage. I use the corrugated pipe like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-100-ft-Corex-Drain-Pipe-Perforated-with-Sock-04730100BS/100129255
Came out nice. If you use the flexible, corrugated, perforated pipe be sure to get the one with the "sock" or wrap drainage fabric around it yourself so it doesn't fill with dirt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks