Gutter cleaning

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Now going to clean the second floor gutters, any ideas.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about some sort of gutter cover to avoid having to clean your gutters every year? This summer I put in a product called "gutter brush" which indeed looks like a 5" diameter bottle brush. It fills up the gutter space and prevents leaves from getting in.

Thought about those plastic covers but sounds like they get clogged up pretty easily. Also thought about those metal "helmet" gutter covers but heard some negative things about them, too, before deciding to go with the brushes.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yep - looks like the stuff I bought - (different brand name but looks same). Yes, it does resemble a dryer lint brush.

Prashster

Reaction score
Best money I spent: gutter topper. Lifetime warranty.

Those brushes still require you to go up and clean. Tiny debris can find its way under the brushes and still give ya probs.

I swear by my gutter guards. I think Leafguard and Gutter Helmet are also reputable brands.

Cookie, I know you're the Evil Knievel of moms, but if I were you, I'd invest in a system that promises you won't have to Tenzing Norgay it up a ladder every yearish and poopscoop the whatnots outa yr gutters.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
prashster said:
Best money I spent: gutter topper. Lifetime warranty.

Those brushes still require you to go up and clean. Tiny debris can find its way under the brushes and still give ya probs.

I swear by my gutter guards. I think Leafguard and Gutter Helmet are also reputable brands.

Cookie, I know you're the Evil Knievel of moms, but if I were you, I'd invest in a system that promises you won't have to Tenzing Norgay it up a ladder every yearish and poopscoop the whatnots outa yr gutters.

Ever take part of the topper off to see how good a job it has done keeping stuff out of the gutters?

I was very tempted to use such a system until I found this site:

http://www.askthebuilder.com/184_Gutter_Guards_-o_They_Really_Work.shtml

(do a search on that site for "gutter cover" and click on the "Gutter Guards - Do They Really Work?" link)

Tim the Builder did his own comparison and the results are interesting...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
A gutter composer. You design it and I'll market it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
With all the thing you have to keep up with you'll never get fat.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Leaf Blower

Gotta pass on my methods.

If the roof is easy to walk on (mine is), I use a leaf blower to blow out the gutters.

For my son's house, which is two stories and too steep to safely walk on, I put two 10 ft lengths of aluminum downspout together and put a U on the end with a piece of flexible plastic downspout, taped in place.

I taped on a thin stick about 6 ft long at the joint in the middle to stiffen it, and adapted it to the leaf blower. It worked great; best if leaves are dry. Tilt it a bit to kind of push the leaves ahead along the length of the gutter.

I described it to a relative who made one for himself and it worked so good that he collected $100 doing it for some neighbors.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm like Bob, I use a leaf blower and when they get real gookie, I made an attachment out of PVC and a few fittings that would fit into the gutter hooked to the garden hose and use that from the ground. It's real messy for the operator though.

If any of you get a good gutter helmet or what ever name you use and it works, please post back. I have oak trees from hell. All winter here in Florida they drop leaves and it gets pretty hectic trying to keep up with them.

bob...

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Don't know if this is acceptable to other people or not..but I've cleaned out a bunch by standing on the roof and using a light weight pressurewasher. They do make attachments just for this purpose so that you can do it from the ground... but 2nd story? That makes it a little tough..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks