Gurgling Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYMike

Reaction score
Just removed and reinstalled a soak tub. I'm using a Watts trip lever drain asssembly (used to have to reach into the tub to pull the plug). Anywho...

Now, when draining, it gurgles. I don't remember if it did before. When I put my hand over the drain (to slow down the drain flow) the gurgle stops.

I tried to remove the trip lever piece but that didn't help.

What causes gurgling or air suck in a tub drain?

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like a real good draining tub, I've encountered tub that make a gurgling sound before, not cause it was a slow draining tub or clogged vent, but just a good draining tub.

If it's consistent sounds during the draining of it then there may not be any problems with it.

Some tub drains can make this sound and be no problems.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

That is the water draining so fast that it is aspirating water down the overflow pipe. It is the sound we listen for to know whether the tub is draining to its maximum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks