gurgling sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by pman, Nov 28, 2005.

1. pman

pman New Member

i have two sinks in my kitchen. one the main kitchen sink with disposal and used often. the other is a bar sink and not used often. lately while doing the dishes or running water in kitchen sink the other bar sink is gurgling. wazz up with that? tks pman
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Do the symptoms change if you run a little water down the other sink? Does it drain properly, too?
  3. bigrebnc1861

bigrebnc1861 Plumber

Does your bar sink.....

have a studor vent on it? If it does it may need to be re-placed. If it doesn't sounds like your drain is getting ready to stop up.
  4. pman

pman New Member

yes it does get better when u run water down the bar sink. it does not clog up. it drains properly. no studor vent, if im correct in that being a cheater vent -- not directly vented thru roof.

tks
  5. jadnashua

If you don't use it very often, the trap can dry out. If, when it has been used, it stops, that is your problem. Otherwise, it sounds like you may have a partial clog in the drain between the two.
  6. pman

pman New Member

hmmm

so since i dont use it often, it could be dry and gurgles as a result? or since it stopes gurgling when i run water down it its a clog? im confused...tks
  7. jadnashua

If the trap starts to dry out, you don't have enough water at some point to seal it. If once you run some water down it, refilling the trap, it stops, then just run some water down it periodically. How often will depend on how dry it is in the house and the size of the drain (and the temperature). If it doesn't change when you run water down it, then you probably have a partial clog somewhere. My unprofessional opinion.