Gurgling in drains after flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

rog2e

Reaction score
So we just switched over to sewer from cess pool. All the work was done on the outside so the contractor never had to come in other than to ask us to flush a few toilets to test. One thing my wife noticed is that in the first floor bathroom, now when we flush we hear a gurgling coming out of some of the other drains like the shower or sink drains. I read about it possibly being blocked vent pipes. One thing I notice that I can do to stop the gurgling is if I run the faucets or shower which will make the sure the ptraps are filled. When I do this I notice the gurgling doesn't happen for a couple flushes but eventually it might start happening again.

I tried to following the drain pipes from this bathroom and noticed that there doesn't seem to be any vent pipes nearby. The vents pipes are further away which I guess is part of the problem. Other than trying to check if my vents are clear from the roof which I will do, are there devices I can use since the bathroom is far from the vent pipe. It is also weird that this started happening right after the cut over to sewer which to me seems just like it is a coincidence.

Thanks

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I wonder if the new piping now has the water flow moving faster - which then creates more suction behind the water column/flow, thereby causing the noise and/or is suctioning your P-trap dry.

If the P-trap is actually being sucked dry, then you have a vent issue (either clogged, missing, or in the wrong place) the last two may have not been noticeable with the previous piping - until the new piping with the faster moving flow.

I'm not a plumber - so I don't know what I'm talking about here - just guessing.

rog2e

Reaction score
Country, your explanation makes logical sense but I'm no plumber either lol. I think I may try to see if it is really sucking the ptraps dry with an inspection camera. Fortunately all my piping is accessible because I was also thinking of putting in one of those venting devices to see if that might help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks