Gurgling Bathroom Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

AlGreen

Reaction score
It's hard to measure the OD of a curved surface (Pipe) without a set of calipers.
If you can get a measurement - this is what you should get if you have 1-1/2" or 2" schedule 40 PVC.
View attachment 35570

I measured the O.D. with my calipers, and it came up as 1.90 inches. So looks like it's 1 1/2 inch pipe. If I can get my mini hacksaw in there, I may try to cut off the existing fitting and glue on the adapter, as you suggest.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Al, you shouldn't need to cut the pipe - unless that threaded cap is an odd ball size (like for 1-1/4" plug).

Take the AAV and the cap to HD or Lowes and see if they have an adapter. Verify what size threads are on the cap.

If the cap actually is 1-1/4 threaded, then it may be easier to cut the pipe and glue on a new threaded adapter for a 1-1/2" inside thread.

AlGreen

Reaction score
Al, you shouldn't need to cut the pipe - unless that threaded cap is an odd ball size (like for 1-1/4" plug).

Take the AAV and the cap to HD or Lowes and see if they have an adapter. Verify what size threads are on the cap.

If the cap actually is 1-1/4 threaded, then it may be easier to cut the pipe and glue on a new threaded adapter for a 1-1/2" inside thread.

So I kept my hacksaw sheathed and followed your suggestion to see if I could find an adapter at HD. Bad news: There was nothing that wouldn't have at least required gluing. Good news: I discovered that the Studor Mini-Vent threads right into my pipe.

20160808_155332.jpg

AlGreen

Reaction score
Update: I still have the smell and the gurgling, so I'm going to bring in a plumber. Any input on what I should expect them to do to diagnose the problem, and in what order? My concern is paying someone to go on a fishing expedition

AlGreen

Reaction score
The smell is pretty bothersome. I also feel that the combo of it and the gurgling are symptoms I shouldn't ignore. The plumber will be here in a little bit. I'll report back with what he says.

AlGreen

Reaction score
Ok, the plumber came and went. His take: The gurgling sink is unvented and may be causing the smell. He probed around behind the wall under the vanity and said he couldn't feel a pipe where there should be one for the vent.

So to see if he's right, I'm going to install an AAV under this sink. If it solves the problem, I'll leave the AAV in place until we redo the entire bathroom in the next year and can have the sink vented properly.

Here's what I'm looking at. I could use some guidance as to how to get an AAV into this arrangement.

20160823_152637.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Ok, the plumber came and went. His take: The gurgling sink is unvented and may be causing the smell. He probed around behind the wall under the vanity and said he couldn't feel a pipe where there should be one for the vent.

View attachment 35822

If the sink never had a vent, then why did the gurgling just start - it should have been there forever. I seems to me that something "changed" in your plumbing. Post back if the new vent fixes it. Good luck.

AlGreen

Reaction score
I actually assumed it wasn't doing it before. I rarely use this bathroom; my girlfriend uses it mostly, and she never noticed anything either way.

AlGreen

Reaction score

So to see if he's right, I'm going to install an AAV under this sink. If it solves the problem, I'll leave the AAV in place until we redo the entire bathroom in the next year and can have the sink vented properly.

Here's what I'm looking at. I could use some guidance as to how to get an AAV into this arrangement.

View attachment 35822

I took a break from this problem, but now I'm back to see if I can solve it.

I'm guessing that in order to add an AAV to the fixture drain shown in the photo above, I would need to replace the fixture drain with a sanitary tee and then add a vertical extension that would elevate the AAV the required number of inches (4?) and put it within 15 degrees of perpendicular. Assuming that's correct (and tell me if it isn't), I'm concerned that I may not have enough space to do what's needed, what with the short distance between the trap and the wall and the minimal clearance under/next to the bottom of the sink for the AAV. What do those who've "been there, done that" think about the feasibility?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Did your plumber have a camera? 90 year old pipe your dealing with and is it all galvanized? There has to be clogs (probably at the vent where is might tee off to the roof further down the line.

Get your self some of those sink drain stoppers and place them in the tub and sink drain. Put a little water in the tub and sink so the drain plug is under water. You might need to tape over the sink and tub overflows. After a day or a overnight wait, if there is still an odor then there is a failure somewhere in the walls or floor. If there is no odor then the sink or tub trap with no water is the cause of the odor.

Last edited:

AlGreen

Reaction score
The plumber didn't use a camera.

So actually the smell is gone. It seems to have only emerged during the warmer months when the central air is on. That makes me think it may not be connected to the gurgling, which is still happening and the main thing I'm trying to solve with an AAV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks