Gurgling and clogged toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

annmar414

Reaction score
About a week ago my toilet started gurgling while I was in the shower. That night it overflowed twice and then when it stopped, all the water in the bowl disapeared. Then it started acting normal for a few hours. The next day it started acting back up.

If I am taking a shower, the toilet gurgles and fills with water. It doesn't stop and will overflow, unless I shut off the shower or the water to the toilet. If the washer or dishwasher is running and you flush the toilet the bowl doesn't flush, it fills with water to the top of the bowl.

Any ideas?

bigrebnc1861

Plumber
Reaction score
annmar414 do you have a septic tank? If so your tank might need to be pumped out. If you don't sounds like you have a clog in you main sewer pipe.

RRW

Reaction score
Are you taking your shower in a tub? Does the water level in the tub get up to the overflow level of the toilet? This sounds strange to me. RW

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
yuck to "slurp"! lol...

sounds like the clog is in the main line after the points where the shower and toilet are joined into it... this would explain why your toilet overflows when you're showering. You need that drain cleared and soon! I'm surprised you didn't call a plumber immediately when this problem first reared its ugly head :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks