Gurgle Sound in Pipe Going to Holding Tank??

Users who are viewing this thread

bishop58

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a gurgle/bubbling sound in my well set up. Specifically, the sounds is the curved pipe that fills the holding tank. You can almost time your watch with about 30 seconds between "gurgles". Each "gurgle" lasts about 5-8 seconds. I have attached a picture and the sound seems to becoming from the curved pipe going to the top of the holding tank.

The blue pressure tank has been checked and emptied (no pin hole leaks or water from the top valve test). If you look close in the picture, there have been 2 check valves installed thinking that water was "slipping" by because of the weight of the 500 gallon holding tank pressure. Still no change.

There was a second 1500 gallon holding tank installed in the back yard with small pump that is filled up by the same well.

The sounds started in February and has continued since. The only time the sound stops for a couple days but could be a coincidence is when I opened the lid on the holding tank outside think this would relieve the pressure as it was not filled with water yet. Beginning of April I started filling the outside holding tank and the "gurgles" would change but not sure if that is due to the well running more water through that pipe. As of now the holding tank outside is full and the "gurgles" are now consistent again.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

Live in Yakima, WA
940 ft well
Well get 15 gallons per minute
No air in water coming out of pipe
Pressure holds at 60-65 psi

Outside Temp:
February: 10s - 20s F
March: 30s - 50s F
April: 50s - 60s F

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The foot valve might have gone bad in the well and the water could be draining back to the well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There has to be air in the line from the well if it is gurgling. Gurgling every 30 seconds is what it sounds like when your well is pumping air. Restrict the flow into the storage tank with a ball valve to less than the well can produce, and the gurgling will go away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks