Gun Safes

Users who are viewing this thread

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I enjoy target shooting with rimfire rifles and have collected a few that I would like to protect against fire and theft. Guns would not be the only items in the safe but for the most part it will be guns.

I live in the city and have a fire hydrant almost in my front yard so I wouldn't expect a long burning fire.

My question is what brands of safes do you guys own and why do you like them? I've read all about the foreign made safes that are assembled here in the U.S. and the quality differences.

So what do you guys have and like? Anyone else like to plink with .22 rifles and pistols?

I'm looking hard at the Liberty Lincoln safe with gloss black and black chrome hardware......I also like the gloss gray color with black chrome hardware. They run about 3 grand for the medium sized safe. I'm concerend with looks because I cant hide it...it will be sitting in a bedroom.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You can pick up a nice Cannon for much cheaper.

Tractor Supply is a good place to pick one up. With a Muscle Man or two.

.22 rimfire is the only cheap round for target shooting anymore. Good Air rifles are fun also.

TJanak

Reaction score
I bought a Sturdy safe about a year ago. A little more than the Cannon, etc. but I thought the upgraded steel and glass insulation was worth the extra. www.sturdysafe.com I got the 36"x27"x60". I think it weighs about 950 lbs and I bolted it down. Believe I spent about $2400.

From the research I did online, it seems like the two that stood out above the rest were Study Safe and AMSEC. I remember thinking Liberty was overpriced for what you were getting. Like buying the name and the fact that Glenn Beck was advertising for them. Besides, with Study, I called them up and talked to the owner himself. Answered all my questions and plus they are made in Fresno. Only thing is I'm not sure if they offer a whole lot of color options. I got the regular gray speckled paint and it's in my garage.

My parents have a Cannon and after the first couple of years it got really hard to open. I think they have to move the combo a couple of numbers off of where it's supposed to be to get it to open. China lock I believe.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I visited a new gun range today and did some target shooting with my custom 10/22 and a .45 ACP. I purchased a scope for the .22 before Christmas and just got around to taking it out to the range. I mounted it the night I bought the scope. So today was the day...no wind and a high around 80 degrees with sunny skies. Just a nice day to get away for a while and have some fun.

I sighted it in at 75 yards with 7 shots. Remington .22 LR target grade ammo. It's dead nutz. It is a leupold 3x9 scope thats really not designed for a .22 but it is working great.

The gun shop connected to the range ordered me a CZ 455 American combo .22 LR/.17 HMR that should be delivered tomorrow. I'm looking for a good 5.56.......anyone have suggestions? The gun shop guy says he likes Rock River Arms but they take 90 days to have built.

I need a high quality leather sling for the CZ I just bought. Suggestions please!

I decided to go with a liberty safe. We have a Liberty dealer close by and it's just easier for me to get delivered and any warranty work done....as of now.

DonL

Reaction score
Sounds like you had fun.

Are you looking for a 5.56 X 45 ?

Check out the Ruger .223 Mini 14. It is one of the best. And I think you can still get 30 round clips. It will shot both NATO 5.56 X 45 and Remington .223.

Wal-mart can special order Ruger for you, if your store sells guns.

As for the sling , I would stay away from anything that has any plastic parts.

You may want to check and see what Carter Country has. (Guns, Clips, Slings and all the good stuff)

Enjoy...

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Picked up the CZ .22/.17HMR today from the dealer and it was as expected. Nice walnut finish and I picked up a Browning padded leather sling for it. I need to order a scope for it and some rings.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonL

Reaction score
I would get a Good Scope, Spend a little extra and you will be happy.

I am not sure how the scope could be sited for both barrels tho.

Seems that it would be dead on for one or the other, but not both.

Nice buy.

Enjoy.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I would get a Good Scope, Spend a little extra and you will be happy.

I am not sure how the scope could be sited for both barrels tho.

Seems that it would be dead on for one or the other, but not both.

Nice buy.

Enjoy.

Yeah I plan to buy a nice scope for it. They dont come cheap but thats the way the cookie crumbles. You are correct that one barrel will be dead on and the other barrels will be alittle off. When it comes back into stock I'ma order the .22 mag barrel to go with the .17 and the .22 LR. Its a 3 barrel gun for now but I hear that a barrel manufacturer is planning to make a .17 mach2 barrel for it.

Timiney makes an aftermarket trigger group for it thats suppose to be very good......I kinda happy with the stock trigger but it could use alittle work. I may take it to my gunsmith and let him smoothe everything out after I break the gun in.

Nobody is stocking any match grade ammo.........it is only 16.00 a box of 50 .22 lr. That gets expensive after an hour or so........but with that quality ammo I can hit bulleyes at 75 yrds at like a machine. All that with the customized 10/22 ruger. Nothing on the gun is Ruger except the stripped receiver.......every other part is aftermarket and over machines to tighter tolerances. The barrel cost more than a brand new ruger 10/22.

Ok so i'm going back out to the range and play some. I may take some video while i'm there.....

DonL

Reaction score
I don't know if the match grade ammo is worth the extra cost for shooting in a semi-auto like the Ruger 10/22. That is a very nice gun, but the slide action makes it a bit less accurate.

Maybe match grade ammo used in your new bolt action you may see some difference, and it may be worth the extra cost.

I do like the .22 WMR, It packs a good punch for a rim-fire .22 Magnum, but gets a bit pricy for target practice.

You may want to invest in some dry boxes for your ammo if you do not have any. Need to protect that pricy ammo. Good ammo is getting harder to find and the prices keep going up.

Sounds like you are having a bunch of fun.

My range is out the back door here, and that is handy for when I get the urge to pop off a few rounds.

Enjoy with Care...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks