Guinevere outlet connection wax seal question

Users who are viewing this thread

MCChicago

Reaction score
Website
www.urbanskifilm.com
Been enjoying your forum. Because of the recommendations here, we purchased a Guinevere for our bathroom.
Here the piping is all cast iron. Saw some nice installations but not with cast iron piping. I've attached a picture of my closet flange. It is pretty level with the floor, so do I need an additional ring? I saw an installation on this forum with a ring with a flange.
Also is a picture of my wax seal. It has a ring but installing this ring on a regular toilet the ring would go into the toilet, with the wax down. On the Toho outlet connection, seems I should have the ring down, with the wax facing the outlet connection (wax up). Should I use a wax seal without the ring?
Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 211

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. Those wax rings with the plastic horn or as your call them, rings, are garbage. They not only are not necessary, they can cause problems. Ideally, the flange should rest on top of the finished floor. However, in the real world, if yours is level with the floor, you should have no problem. Just use what I call a "Plain Jane" wax ring.:p It may help setting the toilet if you use a nut to hold each of the flange bolts in a vertical position. There's plenty of room under the potty for them and it makes setting the toilet straight down onto the wax ring much easier. Be sure the nuts and bolts are either brass or stainless steel.

MCChicago

Reaction score
Website
www.urbanskifilm.com
Appreciate it...I'll be pushing the "Plain Jane" wax ring on to the Guinevere outlet connector(as soon as I get one) and will be bolting down the connection. Glad I don't have to add anything to the flange. On this model the toilet doesn't set down on the wax ring, the wax ring is for the Plastic Toho outlet connector. The Guinevere then sets on top of the connector. Will let you know how it works out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Wax rings come in several thicknesses. It will be obvious to you if you are compressing the wax ring when you put the adapter on. It's harder to tell with a normal toilet because of the weight, but you can. You want it to require some squishing to ensure a good seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks