Guidance needed on designing basement HVAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Buczar

Reaction score
Hi all! Have gotten really great help in the Tank and Well Forum installing . . . well, a tank and a well. I see the HVAC forum is very active as well and so I'm hoping you can assist.

Situation:
I'm looking to finish a portion of my basement. New construction (2012), poured concrete foundation, propane fueled forced air HVAC in 2-zones. One for the first floor (heating unit in basement) and one for the 2d in the attic. AC units are outside (1 for each zone). Basement will be about 1,600sq ft. (although the heated portion is likely to be more like 1,200) currently has no heat or moisture control (other than a 70 pint portable dehumidifyer).

Options seem to be:
  • Pull from the existing system.
This certainly seems the easiest, add a return, some dampers, run 4-5 vents from the center located main supply to the walls and voila. Conditoined basement.

But: Not its own zone / will be connected to 1st floor zone which would seem to cause 2-problems: 1 - inability to control the comfort level. and 2 - heating the space when we aren't using it.
  • Add a pellet stove (or mybe a gas/propane stove) for radiant heat (augmented by a blower or the like of course, but you get the idea).
Seems to solve the local control issue as essntially the basement would be its own zone. Doesn't interfere with the efficiency of the heater supplying the first floor and since we only use it when we need it . . . we don't waste energy.

But: Need to plan-in the space for the heater. I'd assume it would take a fair amount of time to heat the space. It's not like you want to go down there 20-minutes before to get it warmed up all the time. And it will be more expensive to install (plus the hardware).
Some specific questions:
  • How much will adding on to the existing system really reduce the efficiency? The contractor I had here said 'it was fine' . . . . but with apologies, this is something I'd like to know with a bit more certainty.
  • If I add to home system, do I add a whole-house dehumidifier to the first zone as well? Would seem to provide moisture control instead of AC when appropriate.
  • If I use dampers . . . is it acceptable to entirely shut off the flow in those ducts? My resarch so far on dampers has been 'always leave them at least 1/3 open'.
  • Are there such things as 'remote dampers' that might allow me to create sort of an artificial 'zone' (or is that just too much trouble).
  • And maybe most important . . . what questions should I be asking? Are there alternatives I should be exploring?
This is my 'opening salvo'. I figure if I plan well . . . I have a better chance of being happy with the outcome. I did do a search to see if I could find a prior relevant thread . . . . but didn't see anything. Certainly if know of one, reference me there and I'll do more researh!

Thanks for any and all guidance!
Buczar​

Buczar

Reaction score
Good question!

My first priority would be to 'get it right for the longterm'. So there is an 'upper limit' for sure, but at the margin, fairly flexible. W/o a general sense of cost, but wanting to give a more 'specific' answer . . . $7k wouldn't scare me (but man would I like to do it for less than that and although I could spend more . . . it would start to get 'painful').

make sense?

Buczar

Reaction score
1/3 of finished space that will be for my grandfather's pool table. The plan for the remainder will be enternainment center w/ room for 2 - 3 10-man poker tables . . . so let's call it a game room. I will section off a portion as a workshop (unfinished) and another unfinished section will hold mechanical and be used for storage (also unfinished). I have kids (not teens yet . . . but getting closer) so I assume the xbox or whatever will migrate that way as well over time . . .

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Then the least expensive option is to cut a couple ducts into the existing system. Yes, the first floor might overheat occasionally but for the amount of use its going to get, I doubt that would be much of a problem. Next option would be a separate gas heater or pellet stove but pellets can be a pain in the ass carrying the bags down stairs and cleaning ashes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks