Guesstimates for new water line from meter to house

Users who are viewing this thread

Bronsonb

Reaction score
Hello again!

I have a friend who is wanting to get some estimates for what it might cost to replace her existing galvanized water supply line running from her water meter to her house. The line runs about 50 feet from the meter to the house and is buries a foot or two below ground (depending on where you are in the yard, which slopes).

We're in Georgia, so the water supply to the house doesn't have to be three feet under ground.

Is this a job that a homeowner could take on (with the right equipment)? I know trenchers can be rented, and assuming other utility lines are marked so that a person knows where they are, a homeowner could potentially trench the yard and lay a new supply line. But is this something a homeowner should even consider doing? Or is it out of the do-it-yourself league? I've replumbed a bath before (removed existing galvanized lines and replaced with CPVC or copper - replacing what's there---not putting in new from scratch), so I have some very minor skills.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A trencher is not very expensive nor difficult to use, but you would have locate and mark the existing line so as not to run the trencher into it. Making the connection to the meter and at the house shouldn't be too difficult if you have some basic skills.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
water line service

depending on who you call you will probably be getting it done for somewhere between 700 and 1200

If you call the water company and ask them for a list of who they recommend
you might find someone dirt cheap that follows the water compnay around and installs services in new areas . They will be the cheapest

it usually has to be inspected and its best to just it done and over with quickly

make sure they are bonded, and insured.

give them a time line , how fast will it be done and over with.

(you dont want a tractor sitting in your front yard for a week while they take a few days off to go fishing)

DONT GIVE ANYONE 1/2 MONEY UP FRONT!!!!

That is the worst absolute mistake you can make with these fellows.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks