Grundfos Timer Driven Hot Water Recirculation Pump - Name the Parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Baumgrenze

Reaction score
I have a Grundfos 96433899 1/33 horsepower UP10 Comfort Series recirculating pump, P/N 96433895 UP10 16B5/TLC circulating hot water from the water heater utility area to a remote bathroom using a dedicated return line. It stopped a few days before Christmas, so I unplugged it to protect it burning out. A few days later I followed the clean-out instructions. I found a very little lime in it. When I reinstalled it, it worked fine, until today, roughly a month later. I could see no lime or debris at all. I did a closer inspection. I see three parts:

1) the pump body with the timer (this one has no thermostat)

2) the impeller

3) a very small black plastic coupler that fits on the impeller shaft and into the impeller. It appears to install only one end first.

Is my naming of parts pretty much consistent with how a professional would name them?

I noticed that the concave surface that the impeller runs inside showed some scoring, suggesting that the impeller is dragging against it. If and when I reopen the pump I could polish this with 2000 grit automotive refinishing wet-or-dry paper. I've used it on other metal working projects. I managed to get a good photo of this. I will try to get it on Flickr soon.

I thought that the coupler looked a bit dinged up. I did not get a good photo of it. Next time I will pause a bit longer and look at it with my usb microscope and see if I can get a photo that way.

Has anyone found a 'parts break-down' drawing for this series of pumps? It seems a shame to discard the whole thing if the problem is with the coupler. Has anyone seen parts available?

Finally, do I understand correctly that Grundfos has discontinued the use of a timer in the control of these small pumps? My reading of what I found suggests that pump I have (no thermostat) was replaced with one that had both timer and thermostat, and that the current pump is thermostat only. If I need a replacement, will this one work as effectively? I've run the current pump 20 minutes on/20 minutes off during the parts of the day when we are most likely to want quick access to hot water. It has undoubtedly consumed some gas as the outgoing line runs just below the concrete slab floor of our house and we have found one section of floor which has radiant heat when the pump is running.

thanks

baumgrenze

Baumgrenze

Reaction score
At last, before a meeting in 10 minutes, I can post this link to the images I referenced.

eDwq6

Make of them what you will.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks