Grundfos CU301 is dead - switch to CSV?

Users who are viewing this thread

flynmoose

Reaction score
Hello,

Just bought a 3 year old house and 3 weeks later my well is dead.

Controller just clicks and does not even give diagnostic lights.

I jumpered power to the pump and it works fine and generates good flow so I'm reasonably sure the controller is dead.

I've read many of Valveman's posts and am seriously considering switching over to CSV.

Couple of questions:

1) Will I need to have a new accumulator tank installed? I have the standard Grundfos Smartflo 2 GAL tank in the system now.

2) Can I get ANY licensed plumber to do the CSV and pressure-switch install or do I specifically need a well contractor? (If the latter, should I stay away from the original installer - since he would likely be in the CP camp?) I called the plumber down the street and he said he would come tomorrow to check out what was wrong. I had not done the wellpump troubleshooting yet when I called him though.

3) Can a CSV be installed in the basement instead of at the well head?

I've been living in a campground for almost two weeks and haven't had a descent shower in that time. I need help and water fast! :(:(

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A lot of people have fixed their SQE by converting it to a regular SQ, and using a CSV and pressure switch. The CSV and pressure switch could be installed by just about anyone. And yes it will even work with the 2 gallon tank. Use one of the CSV1W or CSV1Z valves in the basement before the pressure switch and tank, as long as no water lines are tied in before that. I am sure you will be happy with the conversion but, please let us know how you like it.

flynmoose

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. Could not find anyone in NE WI in stock with a CSV nor an installer who understood that it could work (they all insisted that I would need a larger capacity tank and most didn't believe that the SQE could be operated without a controller . . .)

I UNDERSTAND but the family needed water. So I'm throwing good money after bad and just replacing the control head.

When the motor goes (or the controller AGAIN) - I'll go after this solution myself but showers and clean clothes won out today.

BTW, the controller is brand new (made 6 months ago) and it works fine (or appears to) with a four year old pump so I'm not sure the compatibility thing is an issue.

Now on to trying to figure out what is wrong with my Iron Filter/Permanganate tank system - water keeps running purple after REGEN.

Barry

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Well you will have the same problem again soon. You already proved that the SQE would work without the controller, it just makes an SQ. I know how it is when you are out of water, you have to get it fixed quick. However, you could have just installed a regular pressure switch, and let the pump cycle until you got a CSV to install. The SQE cycles like this anytime the controller loses communications with the motor anyway. Last years models were designed to cycle on and off 250 times before they faulted out for no communication. This years models are designed to cycle 1000 times before faulting out.

So it would not have hurt much to use a regular pressure switch and let it cycle a few days before you got a CSV installed. Anyway the average life of those systems is less than 4 years. So you are working on borrowed time anyway. I would replace it with a standard pump that only spins 3450 RPM instead of the 10,600 RPM of the SQ or SQE. Then a little larger tank and a CSV would make it last many extra years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks