Grundfos CU 301 problem

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by ryanpilotdave, Jan 8, 2013.

1. ryanpilotdave

ryanpilotdave New Member

New to this and I know this has been covred but I can't find what I am loking for. My mother has a 12 yr old house in south central Idaho. The well contractor installed a CU301 and aSQE pump. For several years now she has had a problem with hot water (tested last week at 105* for over 5 minutes at the well head from the hydrant) and huge power bills. The well company came out for a service call and replaced one burned up pump. Not long later hot water again a big power bills. My thought is a continous running pump. Tech comes out and "tested" the system by opening the hydrant and in 5 minutes the water as cold, nothing wrong system works fine thank for the $65. I have been a millwright for a long time and I clled BS on that. He never put a amp meter on the circut or got under the house to check th control. He said it was fine. The pump went out in 7 months so they come out with a new one. Good thing we are coverd by a warranty. Here we go in a matter of 2 months again with hot water and big power bill.

The well contractor tells my mom it is a Hot Water Tank issue and not their system. I finally had enough and made the drive over. Very first thing is an amp test and we have 6.5 amps continous with no call for water. I go open the hydrant and get 105* for over 5 minutes before cooling down (coulda had a hot tub) I then get under the house and inspect the system. No inicator lights on control, no response when trying to turn off with the on/off button. Trouble shooting says control is bad!

The well contractor tells me it is the hot water tank again. He never has had hot water from a well from a running pump!!!!!!!! WHAT??????? well, there is no way a hot water tank can back charge a well with that temp or gallonage.

Can this CU 301 fail in the on position??? All I have read usually states that failure results in no water? What exactly do I need to do to change the system to something better without having to replace the pump right now?

Thanks for any help.... Dave
  2. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

The EASY way to fix this is to put a regular pressure switch on in place of the transducer and controller
  3. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

That's easy. Remove the controller & transducer and put in a regular pressure switch. The pump will then operate like a regular submersible pump.

Damn, now I can't remove this 2nd post!
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member