Grout

Users who are viewing this thread

John28

Reaction score
Do any of you have any expierence with TEC Power Grout?

I'm getting ready to grout a traditional shower I built and narrowed my 2 choices down to Laticret Permacolor or TEC Power Grout?

I know Epoxy is popular, but with very little grouting expierence, I'm going with 1 of the 2 cement type grouts mentioned. I've gotten plenty of good feedback on Permacolor which I'd use in a minute, but would have to order, which gets expensive. So I'm looking for opinions on Tec Power grout, which I can get at my local Lowes, as they no longer carry Laticrete.

If a DIY'er was to read all grout manufactures specs. stain resistant, color const, etc, TEC definitely has the best features excluding Epoxy types. They claim stain test show TEC Power Grout even more stain resistant than Spectralock? But then agin it's fairly new, and these are manufactures claims, but if it's anything like they say, it's got to be the best of all cement type grouts? But looking for real opinions, do any of you have expierence with this grout? As I realize Permacolor is good, as it's been around with many reviews, but TEC Power Grout hasn't been around that long for many reviews.

It would just be so much easier to go to Lowes and get this grout, vs. ordering Laticrete from who knows where? My project has gone well so far, and don't want a grout failure at this point. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you meant 'Powder' grout verses 'Power' grout. TEC is a good company, and if you like the color choice, it should work out fine. I would not use a premixed grout, but a cement based one or epoxy (or some urethanes) do work well.

John28

Reaction score
I think you meant 'Powder' grout verses 'Power' grout. TEC is a good company, and if you like the color choice, it should work out fine. I would not use a premixed grout, but a cement based one or epoxy (or some urethanes) do work well.

No, I meant TEC Power Grout, it's kind of new with not many reviews.

I don't have much expierence with grouting so did a lot of research, and read every Spec. sheet on every cement type grout. Without a doubt, TEC Power Grout is the best on paper. Like I said, it's a cement grout and it's rated just as stain resistant or even more than Epoxy Spectralock. The problem is it's the best on paper, and hasn't been in the hands of users that long, to claim the best to use, only time will tell.

So I'm looking for opinions on those who have used TEC Power Grout? And not the premix stuff, the bag. http://www.tecpowergrout.com/product-detail/power-grout-powder

http://www.tecpowergrout.com/test-results

http://www.tecpowergrout.com/case-studies

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Interesting...when I checked my local Lowes, it does not show up as anything they carry...when I look at the link you provided, they show it only available in a few states (not mine!). You may have trouble finding people with experience on the stuff if it's that new...good luck.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score

I used Urethane grout in my kitchen - the stuff sucks. Got talked into it and bought into all the hype. For me there is two grout choices.

Ultra Colour Plus cementious grout from Mapei

Laticrete Spectra Lock Pro EPoxy Grout.

These two are my favourites.

Never heard a bad thing about TEC Grout before, but I also never heard a good thing. I would suggest you do a little mock up and put this new grout to the test.... JW

John28

Reaction score
Never heard a bad thing about TEC Grout before, but I also never heard a good thing. I would suggest you do a little mock up and put this new grout to the test.... JW

Haven't bought the grout yet, just weighing options.

I was undecided between Laticrete Permacolor and TEC Power Grout, so far I'm leaning torwards Permacolor, as I have read some negative reviews with the TEC Power Grout.

How do you compare the Ultra Color Plus Mapei to Permacolor, Is Mapei more stain resistant, easier to work with, etc. than Permacolor ? Thanks

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I've only used Laticrete's Spectra Lock Pro Epoxy grout and can not compare it to Permacolor.

Ultra Colour Plus took as a while to get used to using but is by far our favourite cementious grout to date.

dubele

Reaction score
This is a very old post, but thought I'd give some feedback of TEC's Power Grout 550 product. In short, I regret going with this product. I grouted a floor last week with this stuff. Today, a week later, when I drop a few water drops on the grout, I can actually remove grout by scrubbing with my finger. TEC claims this can be used for a tiled shower pan application.....I don't think so, not even close. Now I know what happened with the walls.......that when I went back with a very damp sponge a day later after application that my hand felt "dirty" when wiping my hand across the wall after a light cleaning. This stuff is a scam. I have no idea how this stuff remains on the market

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks