Grout Problem

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by richrc1131, Jan 4, 2010.

1. richrc1131

richrc1131 New Member

I am trying to figure out what to do here regarding a bad grouting job. My friend that tiled my small bathroom floor, apparently didn't seal it correctly and now it's looking dirty in some spots as if dirt has settled in. Other areas look fine.

Is there a quick fix for this?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Depends on what is causing the stains...

Note, a sealer helps, but does not prevent stains. It slows the absorbtion, but some stuff will get in there and not all kinds of dirt are repelled all that much.

If it looked even when initially installed, there are some cleaners that can help. If it was blotchy when installed, it could be excess water and you are seeing some laytex migration from the modifiers after the cement was washed away.

One thing you can try is a 50-50 white vinegar and water mix - scrub with a medium bristle brush, then rinse well. There are commercial cleaners that can work, maybe better. The acid in the vinegar will actually take the surface layer of the cement off the grout. If the dirt has penetrated deep, you need a different cleaner.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling...they also have some good, professional sealers and cleaners in their store. I've used them in my home.
  3. richrc1131

richrc1131 New Member

Excellent advice. I will give it a try. Thank you for your help.
  4. Jfree

Jfree New Member

IF the square footage is not so big and the grout joints are over1/8" you might consider scraping the grout out with a carbide grout cleaning tool and some elbow grease. Vacuum the grout up and apply new grout which is definately a do it your self task if done properly. Seal grout properly and you will have many more years of nice looking tile. Tile does require maintenance.
  5. PEW

PEW DIY Senior Member

If you are going that route, I would surely regrout with epoxy grout. If you are not comfortable applying it, have someone experienced do it, you will not be sorry!
  6. Groutman

Groutman Tile it Grout it Caulk it

Quick Quick

If the grout is not getting wet and it is just discolored you can use a non transparent concrete stain with a custom color of your choice. Keep in mind that the selected grout staining color should be the same or close to the color of the existing grout. There are some tricks to applying it effectively but it is mostly just time consuming. If you would like more info pm me and I can give you some details.