Grout central ... What works and what doesnt

Users who are viewing this thread

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Im back to this pair of products for grouting. And dare i say exclusively.

image.jpg

Seems everytime i try something else i have problems.

I had so many lucky years with random grout brands now it seems all i can use is this pair?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
My Top Three Grout Recommendations:

Nice call on the distilled water. I do the same. Have yet to buy water for cleaning washes but the thought has crossed my mind.

For me I currently recommend (depends what job)

• Mapei's Ultra Colour Plus Rapid Setting Grout (Grey and White)
  • PermaColor by Laticrete (Grey and Off White)
  • SpectroLock Pro Epoxy Grout by Laticrete (Anything but White)

Installing%2BLaticrete%2BSpectraLock%2BPro%2BPremium%2BGrout.jpg

Action Shot - not sure how safe it is working in my bare feet but it is my preferred approach.

Laticrete SpectraLock Pro Premium Grout - Dusty Gray

Custom+Gray+Grout+Epoxy+Pro.jpg

Laticrete SpectraLock Pro Premium Grout - Custom Colour Floor
Laticrete PermaColour Grout - Walls (White)

These products I like. Both tile installs (shown above) where given two plus weeks before grouting. Large format tile needs time to cure after setting. Do not rush this step!

QuartzLock Urethane Grout as a side note is the shittest stuff I have ever used. So of course that is what I grouted my Kitchen with. First and Last job.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Dusty Gray Grout Sample Board:

Tile%2BSample%2BBoard%2BExample.jpg

I made a simple four corner test board to show the Laticrete dusty grey grout. Anyone that hates their grout should kick themselves in the ass for not asking for a grout sample board. Both Husband and Wife got to see and approve the final colour. The nice thing about Epoxy grout is how constant the colour is.

These product from Laticrete the only one I use. I have tried no other.

Another example of what a grout sample board looks like:

IMG_3281.jpg

This sample board made to show the curb detail and custom colour mix.

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Sample mock ups are nice if you can.

Ive had a bad run of grout issues as of late.

I actually do also use distilled for cleanup!!!!!

Rushing drytimes is suicide be it thinset or grout, i do 1/2 of my work sub contracting and it seems everyone but a tile pro is ok with tiling and grouting with next to no drytime and yeah sometimes you get lucky.

I am working on a lein waiver letter for anyone im working for (subcontracting) wanting to disregard tcna and mfg drytimes.

Its crazy the hurry and cheapness of people today.

Now with my own clients i have a say and put my foot down.!
"( but the other guy was going to finish the whole shower in 4 days how can it take you 2 weeks.... 3 weeks ?? No way)"

Stay away from tec 650 is all im saying.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a reason the manufacturer's write instructions on how to use their products. Failing to follow them can have unforeseen (by the user, the manufacturer already figured that out!) consequences. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Sometimes, you don't care. If you do it 'wrong' all of the time, then you may not know how the manufacturer intended it to look, and to you, if it looks like all of the other times you've done it, it must be fine (not!). How many people read the instruction book that comes with most things? Often, only when you can't get it to work, and by then, it may be too late.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Laticrete SpectraLock Pro Premium Grout - Dusty Gray

Dusty%2BGray%2BEpoxy%2BGrout%2BFinal%2BWash%2BLaticrete.jpg

Tile Size: 1'x2'
Grout: SpectraLock Pro Premium Grout (1/2 Commercial Pack AB 2 x 9lb C)
Colour: Dusty Gray 100%
Setting Material: Laticrete 254 Gray
Cure Time: 2 weeks
Grout Spacing 1/4"
Tile Layout: 120 square feet 1/3 Running Bond
Used: 12 pounds powder - two batches

How I left the floor last Friday. The grout colour will deepen as it cures. I asked the clients to stay out until Monday.

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
be careful barefoot...

I just got over a bad portland burn ......DO NOT screed mud floors in shorts no matter how hot it is.

on another note that floor looks great, nice clean job John...

this laticrete 1500 install is curing nice and evenly, need to clean haze and seal this week....

tile floor 12x24.JPG

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
be careful barefoot......

When I'm painting and when I grout. I can fill my big toe squish into a grout joint barefoot. I can not with shoes and socks on. To bad Laticrete does not include booties and gloves. I worked with no knee pads or gloves. The stuff does not react with me at all.

My wife hates this grout because ever time I use it I take her digital scale to work. She always thinks I'm going to break it or cover it in crap.

Making%2Bsmall%2Bbatches%2Bof%2BLaticrete%2BSpectraLock%2BPro%2BPremium%2BGrout.jpg

I calculated that I needed 10 pounds all day. More than the 9 lb single part C powder could handle. I made a generous overage calculation to 12 pounds so I could easily mix two 6 pound batches. Since 6 pounds was 2/3 of 9 I used 2/3 of the part A&B mix. You need a digital scale I think to get this bang on. My wife's is great but, you can not borrow it!

JW

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Glowing Epoxy Grout I think - two fine examples below:

eclectic-.jpg

1DS_7941.jpg

Grout looks great doesn't it. This photo shot in some upscale New York Shower. Hotel on Rivington.

I wonder if that's Laticrete's. Maybe we should sent the picture to Henry.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Another shot at the glowing grout.

We almost did this at my buddies place but I chickened out.

modern-tile-grout-color-trends-8.jpg

vid-fot-pool-2.jpg

Here it's the 1"x1" tile that glows....

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks