Grounding or Bonding Jetted Bathtub

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by seegee, May 3, 2012.

1. seegee

seegee New Member

Hi All,

I'm sorry, this may have been asked before, but I want to make double/triple sure I have this right.

I have a jetted Proflo tub that was installed in my new home. There is only 1 Romex cable to supply power and ground. There is no heater on the unit, and I am using aquapex for the water supply. There is what looks like a grounding/bonding bolt on the motor, but if I'm not using copper pipes, and there is no heater unit, is it necessary to connect anything to that bolt?

Just want to be safe and sure. Thanks in advance.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

What does the installation manual say? My guess is that it does need to be grounded, if nothing else, but that is a guess.
  3. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

i would bet that the motor would have to be grounded, as well as hooked up to a GFCI outlet as well.
  4. seegee

seegee New Member

It just says the following:

In one area:

Electrical Requirements
    1. ALL CONNECTIONS MUST BE GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupted) PROTECTED
    2. Whirlpool units require dedicated 20 amp, 115 volt service.
    3. A receptacle with a 20 amp configuration must be provided.
    4. See local codes for proper wire size, if not specified use #12 Copper only wire.

In another area:

DANGER: RISK OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK! Connect only to a separate circuit protected by a ground fault circuit
    interrupter (GFCI).
    • The unit must be connected to a circuit interrupter (GFCI). Such a circuit is provided by the installer and should be
    tested on a routine basis. To test the GFCI push the test button. The GFCI should interrupt power. Push the RESET
    button. Power should be restored. If the GFCI fails to operate in this manner, there is a ground current flowing, indicating
    the possibility of an electrical shock. Do not use this unit. Disconnect the unit and have the problem corrected
    by a qualified service representative before using.

Another area:
    Electrical connection is simply made by plugging pump cord (shipped with
    cord and plug) into specified dedicated 120V/20A GFCI outlet.

IT IS CONNECTED TO A GFCI CIRCUIT.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Well, electrically speaking, a gfci doesn't even require a ground, although it does give a safety path to trip the CB if there's some types of shorts.
  6. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

The lug on the motor has nothing to do with grounding. The grounding is accomplished by the bare copper wire in the cable supplying the receptacle.

The lug on the motor is for bonding any and all metal parts in the area of the tub together. If there are no metal water pipes and no other metal that can be touched while in the tub then it gets hooked to nothing
  7. Chris DeLong

Chris DeLong New Member

The bonding lug on the motor is for bonding any metal parts in contact with the circulating water only, In my experience, I have never seen a tub plumbed with anything but plastic... so IMO you don't have to bond anything.
  8. seegee

seegee New Member

Yes, there are no metal water pipes, but the plastic water pipes of course connect to the tub spout and hot/cold control knobs, which are metal. Those don't need bonding, right?
  9. seegee

seegee New Member

bump... just wanted to know this last piece...

Yes, there are no metal water pipes, but the plastic water pipes of course connect to the tub spout and hot/cold control knobs, which are metal. Those don't need bonding, right?
  10. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

No bonding required