Grohflex max and min limits

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
Hello. I've purchased a Grohflex rough-in for my new shower. On the rough-in there are max and minimum limits. On the sticker there are arrows. Is the manufacturer indicating that the finished tiled wall shouldn't go past the arrow labelled maximum? I am asking because the tolerances seem a little tight since the max. arrow is 4" from the backside of the unit. Here is my rough calculation. If the rough-in is installed into a 2x4 wall the stud itself is 3.5" then you add in the 1/2" drywall plus 3/8 for tile. This means you can only have 1/8" of thinset to be within tolerance. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20160801_220852.jpg
    IMG_20160801_220852.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 297

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want the trim to fit...yes.

On another point, unless you are using either Kerdi or Hydroban sheet membrane, drywall has no place in a shower!

Jechow

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I was just concerned how accurate can Grohe be with just a sticker indicating max and mins. I guess this means that I should install the rough-in only partly recessed into the wall instead of against a board attached to the backside of the 2x4.

Yes, I will be using Kerdi so surprisingly drywall is the recommended backerboard.

Cheers.

DougB

Reaction score
Install the rough-in so it will at least slightly protrude past the cement board and the tile. After the tile is set, you then trim off the excess ( I used a shop knife ) - flush with the tile..

Brianthedog

Reaction score
Hello. I've purchased a Grohflex rough-in for my new shower. On the rough-in there are max and minimum limits. On the sticker there are arrows. Is the manufacturer indicating that the finished tiled wall shouldn't go past the arrow labelled maximum? I am asking because the tolerances seem a little tight since the max. arrow is 4" from the backside of the unit. Here is my rough calculation. If the rough-in is installed into a 2x4 wall the stud itself is 3.5" then you add in the 1/2" drywall plus 3/8 for tile. This means you can only have 1/8" of thinset to be within tolerance. Thanks.

How did your project turn out ? I ran into the same dilemma stressing over how the final valve assembly would fit or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks