Grohe rough-in valve, but shower head only

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bmcleod65, Oct 25, 2008.

1. bmcleod65

bmcleod65 New Member

Hey everyone, I have a Grohe 4-port rough-in valve:
    grohe 4-port EF with duel connection stops.jpg
    I installed one a couple years ago in another bathroom and ended up capping the top and putting an ell from the bottom, which then split off to the tub spout and to the shower head - it's working great, no pesky drips, etc.

Now we are getting to the master bathroom which has only a shower head (3/4 bathroom) with no tub.

Here's my question, should we cap the bottom and run the top port to the shower head? ...or would you recommend an alternate approach.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

That is really the only sensible approach, but going back to the other valve. How did you split off to the tub and shower? Normally it is only done with a "twin ell" in order to prevent water running from the shower head when filling the tub.
  3. bmcleod65

bmcleod65 New Member

yes, it was a twin ell, dropped the supply from the grohe down to the forward connection, back connection went up to the shower and front went to the spout:
    twin ell.jpg
  4. bmcleod65

bmcleod65 New Member

Thanks for the help hj!!
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

twin ell

I was curious because your original description implied you did it differently and I wondered how you could have gotten lucky.