Grohe Grohmix stop valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Seems like shower repair month for me--I have another shower valve question. I am trying to remove the stop valves (part 10 highlighted in the picture) from a grohmix valve with poor flow so I can clean the strainers. The valves are a brass nut/flange piece threaded into the brass valve body. I tried to unscrew both of them with a socket ratchet and they aren't budging. I am afraid of breaking the valve body or copper pipes with more force because I have no obvious way to apply a counter-force. I already removed the thermo cartridge and cleaned its strainer, but that didn't help. I actually think I made the poor flow problem worse by exercising the service stops to flush the valve body when the cartridge was out. Should I use an air impact wrench to back these out or is that a terrible idea? I used the air impact successfully on my water heater anode, but that was steel on steel and a much more massive assembly.

grohe.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The copper in the wall is normally pretty sturdy. Though if you are having problems with flow, you don't have much to lose.

Part 10

grohe-0835500m.jpg

Last edited:

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. You are right that I need to take the chance because those valves are probably clogged and need to be cleared.

I will get back to this in the next few days to see if I can get the stops out without breaking anything. I am a bit afraid of brass at the moment because I recently poked a hole in a water heater drain trying to unscrew it.

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Impact wrench was great for this, but the stops/valve body didn't seem clogged. I guess I need to look at the shower head internals next.

Crosstalk

Reaction score
I called myself checking the head first too, but now I am questioning it. I soaked it in white vinegar but that didn't have any effect so I started the process of checking the valve. Now I'm back to square one, but will take the hand shower apart this time.

Crosstalk

Reaction score
I took the head apart and found no serious limescale. I did discover a hard and possibly swollen o-ring in the flow restrictor. The resistor has a central jet and a set of jets around the perimeter. The perimeter jets seemed blocked by the o-ring. I tested without the flow restrictor and the flow was way too much. So I replaced the o-ring and it's working well now. Unfortunately for me I did a lot of work to find an o-ring was the problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Was the O-ring in a restrictor like the green one in this picture?

2013_moen_showerhead-9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Not exactly the same, but a similar design. I'm not sure what the o-ring is supposed to do (partially block the perimeter or check valve?) or the exact OEM size, but swelling of this over time would explain my gradual loss of flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks