Groaning toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

nichom

Reaction score
Hi, we had a new bathroom put in about four years ago and have had no problems, however, for about the last six months every so often when we flush the toilet we hear a loud groaning noise. The only way to stop it is if you open the sink tap whilst the toilet is refilling. A colleauge suggested that it was an air pocket in the pipe.

Our bathroom is fully tiled and I would prefer not to have to take up the flooring. Is there any simple way of removing the trapped air without having to cut/replace the pipe?

I have limited / no plumbing experience.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is what others have said

titanic.jpg

My husband replaced the inside things in the tank of the toilet, and now when it is flushed it sounds like a tuba
in the walls. I'm growing tried of the tune. HELP !!!!! Sherri

Sherri:---Tell your Husband that "Tuba Toilets" are passe and tacky. Insist that he take the nuisance noisemaker back to whence he got it forth with. There are excellent bargains to be had by the watchful buyer. A "Silver Flute" or possibly an authentic "Penny Whistle" might be more appealing to Madames impeccable tastes?
For those however who consider silence "Golden", you should instruct your husband to purchase a ballcock of known quality lest he invite unwanted
noises to emanate from the bathroom.
Just one thing before you send your Lord of the Manor on this quest for a quiet flushing loo.
Ascertain that he has in fact fully opened the water supply valve to the "China Throne"..Bud..

WHY IS THE PIPES IN MY TOLIET AREA VIBRATING AT ALL TIMES THROUGHOUT THE DAY? IT SOUNDS LIKE THE TITANIC.
IT DRIVES ME CRAZY! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. ANGIE

Angie,
Your Titanic toilet is leaking at the flapper. Replace the flapper with a good quality 5-year flapper, and replace the fill valve (ballcock). When replacing the fill valve, get a new supply tube.
Loose rubber washers cause noises like you mention. (fill valve) The fact that the noises occur throughout the day, indicates that the water level in the tank is dropping, (leaking flapper) Terry

Angie:--Terry Love has furnished you first class advice on your TITANIC problem. He did however overlook a very very important thing.
Until the repairs have been completed on your toilet, you must insist that all users wear a life jacket and carry a flare gun...Ahrmand

And even though the toilet sounds like a foghorn, don't get the idea that the sound will keep icebergs away. I've seen icebergs smash right into toilets at night. I would keep the night light on, it could get rather messy.
Terry

nichom

Reaction score
Thanks, but does that basically mean that IU need to replace the ballcock and the "flapper"(?). What is a flapper? Even if I do replace these how will that get rid of the trapped air in the pipes under the tiled floor?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is no trapped air in the pipes. As soon as you use the water, the air is gone too.

What you do have, is a rubber seal that is vibrating like a string on a guitar and making that horrible sound.

Try opening up the shutoff at the wall first,
Second, you may need to repair or replace the fill valve.
If the sound has been intermitent, then you have been leaking water past the rubber flapper that holds the water in the tank. That will need to be replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks