Grey water reuse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Did you know that reclaimed water piping is supposed to be marked with a purple color?

That reminds me, a project my wife did (she is an architect) involved using reclaimed water being used to flush toilets. It stored this water in a fire pond outside. (It was kind of cool, you would go on a bridge over the pond to enter the building and there were fish in the pond too.) Anyway, the local inspector (a real difficult "local-yokle" kind of guy) and thought the toilets themselves must be changed out to purple colored toilet in order to meet code, at least "the way he read it"!

I think that inspector retired during the project, and the inspector who replaced him let the toilet color issue slide. ;)

I am sure that lots of expensive equipment will be required to properly filter and treat the greywater... Toilet flush valve & jets with hair and soap scum going through them aren't going to be too happy!

I remember on this project my wife did, the basement of the place was a maze of very high tech, fancy (and surely, very very expensive; this was a government project after all!) of mechanical equipment required to treat that grey/reclaimed water, among other things.

The current code specifies blue or green. Purple is reserved for San Francisco, CA, Provincetown, MA, and Key West, FL.

What inspectors aren’t “local yokles� Typically they are contractors who didn't make the grade.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The current code specifies blue or green. Purple is reserved for San Francisco, CA, Provincetown, MA, and Key West, FL.

The end of the rainbow huh?:eek:

villagepeople.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks