Green stuff

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by sassyav8r, Dec 16, 2007.

1. sassyav8r

sassyav8r New Member

Thanks to all for always sharing your knowledge and experiences. I appreciate it.

Now for the "green stuff". My parents drilled a water well on their place 2 years ago during the building of their home. About 6 months ago they added a storage tank to prevent the pump from overworking itself. Prior to the addition of the storage tank, to my knowledge they did not have this issue...green stuff, looks like spinach, in the washing machine hose filter, ice machine filter, etc. I'll enclose a link to some photos that I took of the set up when I was home last. http://picasaweb.google.com/sassyalaska/Well

If anyone has any ideas please send them my way. My parents are in their 70's and I'm trying to simplify things a bit for them. If you have any questions, I'll tell you what I know.

Thanks,
    SAS
  2. Rancher

Rancher Guest

Storage Tank

Green Stuff = algae

Check the storage tank thru the access hatch, if you see a lot of growth, plain unsented household bleach will shock it into dying, then a weekly dose will keep it gone, use a pool test kit to keep from getting too much bleach (chlorine) in your water.

Rancher
  3. Possibly algae build-up in that storage tank. Have they requested that their Health Department come out and check it for them? Their Health Department can take samples and send them off to a lab to tell them what it is, and recommend what to do about it.
    They may be able to just clean that tank out with bleach, flush that out and go from there.
    Good luck!
    Mike
  4. sassyav8r

sassyav8r New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll pass on the info.

Cheers,
    SAS