Great Stuff under tub?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Nate R, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Nate R

Nate R New Member

I'm thinking of putting Great Stuff under my fiberglass tub to help get full support between it and the subfloor when I install the tub.

Should I be using the Great stuff for Windows and doors? (Expands to fill spaces, but doesn't have enough force to bow vinyl windowframes) I guess I'm wondering if I should be worried about the regular stuff expanding too much and pushing the tub up.
  2. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

As well you should be.

On the other hand, the minimal-expanding cures pretty soft - too soft to count as "support" of any kind.

If you go with the great stuff, use as little as possible - maybe do some experiments out in the garage, first, to get a feel for it - and fill the tub so that the weight will keep the tub from rising.

Or, of course, you could do it the normal way, with mortar.
  3. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

Try StructoLite. It's a type of perlited gypsum plaster that doesn't shrink, is easier to work with than mortar, it doesn't scratch surfaces and is easy to clean up.