Grease in plastic drain pipes - prevention

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Will grease clog plastic drain pipes in the long run?

Background: I had plenty of clogs in my old iron sewer pipes, until I replaced all my drain pipes with plastic pipes about 3 years ago. I poured grease and oil from frying pans down the kitchen sink since then, thinking it won't stick to plastic pipes. Never had a clog. However I saw some examples of inspection camera pics of grease accumulating in ABS pipes in this forum. My question is what is the likelihood that grease will create clogs in plastic pipes in the long run. Is this a rare occurrence, or a ticking time bomb? Should I start removing grease from utensils before washing? Should I start regular Bio-Clean treatment as a preventative measure, or may this be an unnecessary expense? Will periodic hot water flushed down the pipe keep it clear equally well?
Again, my question is not if it is theoretically possible to get clogs, but if grease is likely to eventually accumulate and clog in plastic pipes.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is no doubt that it WILL accumulate, it is just a matter of how long it takes. The majority of ABS clogs are due to grease accumulation. Hot water in the disposer while it is running will reduce the tendency, but NOT eliminate it.

grease-in-pipe-blue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like hj said, grease will fill up any line plastic or metal.
Bio-Clean helps, but it's best to keep grease out of the drains.

bio-clean.jpg

grease-in-pipes-01.jpg

grease-in-disposer-03.jpg

index.php

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks