gravity feed spring

Users who are viewing this thread

Ridgeview Farm

Reaction score
I think posted this once but cant find it. I have a tile spring that produces 5 gal/min and a psi at the house of 15-20. Storage capacity is about 260 gallons. Assuming water temp is above 40 F, I have to check on that, can I run a 5 ton heat pump? I know that the rule of thumb is 1.5 gal/min/ton, and between 7000 and 20000 gal per day. Theoretically that would require my entire spring. I have a discharge pond. I wonder if it might be practical to at least offset some of my heating cost. Any body ever use any system like this? I live in northern Vermont.

Tom

ps March 26...no replies...guess I'm the smart one...I'll figure this out on my own

Last edited:

mike04

Reaction score
My open source pump automatically shuts down when my water filter gets clogged. That's no problem except that I can't be away for more than two or three days. I assume you don't have enough room in your spring for a closed loop.

Earth Fire Energy

Reaction score
Website
www.earthfire-energy.ca
Water Flow Rate

The flow rate of 5 usgpm is too low for a 5 ton heat pump. Most heat pumps of this size require about 12-15 usgpm. The biggest thing that needs to be thought about is the run time percentage. If your system runs continuously for parts of the year, the storage tank would have to be sized appropriately for the longest expected run duration with a safety factor built in.

Given that you have a spring in your yard, would imply that the water table is near the surface. If you have the space, it would probably make the most sense to install a horizontal ground exchanger to supply heat to the heat pump. The high water table will increase the thermal conductivity of the soil, which will reduce the area required for the ground exchanger.

Best Regards,
Bret Hutchinson
Earth Fire Energy Inc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks