Grass vs 13 year old son Winner = 13 year old

Users who are viewing this thread

Richrc1131

Reaction score
My 13 year old son was charged with painting the back porch. I walked him through what he needed to do and how to do it. I did some of it with him until he got the hang of it.
I told him to come and get me when he needed to clean the brushes. He took it upon himself to clean the brushes without contacting me. He did this by hosing them off on the grass. All of the grass in that area died.

My question is: Am I going to have to tear up all of that soil next year and re-soil or will it be ok on it's own and all I have to do is re-seed?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
How much grass can it be...how much are we talking about in Sq./Ft.

Richrc1131

Reaction score
It was about 8' x 8'.

My wife just looked at it (I'm at work). She said it is closer to 5' x 5'. Still a big area.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
WoW...thats a lot of area...I don't know how rinsing off a brush with latex paint could kill that much grass...I don't know If I have ever heard of latex paint killing grass...maybe someone else will have an answer...

I am going to guess that it has a good chance of growing back...

Richrc1131

Reaction score
I'm mystified too, but thanks. Hopefully it will grow back.

It's weird because you can even see the spray pattern in the area where grass once was.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with water-based paints killing grass.

But mineral spirits used to clean caulk or clean oil-based paints will kill it.

Are you sure mineral spirits were not involved with his clean-up?

It will grow back though. My little spots did after I did my windows.

Cookie

Reaction score
Did your son want to do the work, and was their additional work afterward?

Richrc1131

Reaction score
Believe it or not, he did want to do the work. He was convinced it would be easy.

As to your second question: HE WILL NEVER PAINT ANYTHING AT MY REQUEST AGAIN. I give him heavy lifting duties now.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
He should paint again...this is a learning experience...

Richrc1131

Reaction score
He's kinda hard to read, but my guess is that he didn't like it or not like it. I think he was practicing for his bedroom. We're going to do that in a couple of months.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Better than this....

A blonde, wanting to earn some money, decided to hire herself out as a handyman-type and started canvassing a wealthy neighborhood. She went to the front door of the first house and asked the owner if he had any jobs for her to do. "Well, you can paint my porch. How much will you charge?"

The blonde said, "How about 50 dollars?" The man agreed and told her that the paint and ladders that she might need were in the garage. A short time later, the blonde came to the door to collect her money.

"You're finished already?" he asked.

"Yes," the blonde answered, "and I had paint left over, so I gave it two coats." Impressed, the man reached in his pocket for the $50.

"And by the way," the blonde added, "that's not a Porch, it's a Ferrari."

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
grass

You beat me to the blond joke, but as the words of the old song said, "It'll come back". Now, if the brushes were cleaned with thinner or some other distillate, then it may be problematical how long it will take.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks