GraniRapid -- liquid vs. powder -- old vs. new

Users who are viewing this thread

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Alright guys , I have to start this one just to reduce the confusion with the other one thread .

We know that the GraniRapid test I did a while ago -- 5 days -- did show strange things , so here are 4 new tests in 4 different configurations .

1) New liquid mixed with new powder . New means Best by 22 May 2015 , it doesn't mean it is expired or throw it out .

New GR kit 001.jpg

2) New liquid mixed with old powder

3) Old liquid mixed with new powder

4) Old liquid mixed with old powder Old means it did pass the best by date for 5 months . Storage was under good conditions with no extra manipulations . The old liquid was from a 18.9L open bucket and the old powder from an unopened full bag .

Old GR liquid.jpg

Old GR powder.jpg

Let's see where all these will bring us .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
All the test samples were done using CBU -- the Next generation -- , Kerdi , transparent regular glass 6mm and GraniRapid .

All of the samples were done using 4 different mixes of GraniRapid , but same mix was used per individual sample for adhering the Kerdi and the glass , one after the other in sequence .

The temperature and humidity are almost 10% or less in variance from 18C and 58% humidity .

Here are some of the prep pictures .

New tests -- 4 batches GR 001.jpg
New tests -- 4 batches GR 002.jpg
New tests -- 4 batches GR 005.jpg
New tests -- 4 batches GR 006.jpg
New tests -- 4 batches GR 008.jpg
New tests -- 4 batches GR 009.jpg

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
All right let's see how the samples are doing after 5 hours mark.

1) Old liquid & old powder batch sample .

New tests -- GR old L & old P  0hour.jpg
New tests -- GR old L & old P  5 hour mark.jpg

What a disappointment , still soft with a skin over 15% cured .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
2) New liquid & old powder batch sample .

New tests -- GR new L & old P  0hour.jpg
New tests -- GR new L & old P  5 hours mark.jpg

A step down beyond disappointment , still soft -- just mixed -- with a skin over 5% cured .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
3) Old liquid & new powder batch sample .

New tests -- GR old L & new P  0hour.jpg
New tests -- GR old L & new P  5 hour mark.jpg

Bang , 95% cured . I will monitor the under glass mortar color change for the next 48 hours.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
4) New liquid & new powder batch sample .

New tests -- GR new L & new P  0hour.jpg
New tests --  GR new L & new P  5 hours mark.jpg

Bang , 95% cured . I will monitor the under glass mortar color change for the next 48 hours.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Bang!!!! your crackin me up! nice backup test, core sample thru durock? and a proper submersion test?

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
SO , it seems that the liquid is not a factor in the cure degradation of past '' best before date '' products .

Both cured samples are looking alike and I think they will be ready soon for some submerged testing .

It seems that the powder -- I am worried now -- is the culprit and it does it in a way '' you don't want to find out '' .

I will monitor the uncured samples and see if they get the same results as the first one I have which is 5 days old .

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
now im curious Roberto , say you make 3 samples and lay one flat on table as you have been, set one up vertical plumb like a wall mock up??? #3 a ceiling or upside down....... gravitational pull!!! lol

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
now im curious Roberto , say you make 3 samples and lay one flat on table as you have been, set one up vertical plumb like a wall mock up??? #3 a ceiling or upside down....... gravitational pull!!! lol

Hey man ! Don't push it !!!! lol

JW said:
I would like to see more detail!

Did you notice that the shell life is rated at 23C and 50% relative humidity . WTF !!!

Maybe we should all live in a bubble lab at 23C and 50% RH .LOL

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Alright , some findings after the 27 hours mark .

1) Old liquid & old powder OLD stands for passed the best by date .

New tests -- GR old L & old P  27h mark.jpg
New tests --  GR  old L & old P 27h mark  1.jpg
New tests --  GR  old L & old P 27h mark  2.jpg
New tests --  GR  old L & old P 27h mark  3.jpg

There was a skin formed of about 30% cure and the rest -- accessible part -- is mushy mushy mushy . Like it was just mixed ....I wouldn't even mention the under the glass area -- JUST MIXED AND STICKY --

Not something I am looking forward to see again . It is like there is a component ( or more ) which is missing from the chemical reaction which should take place . It is not possible , but who knows , maybe some components are designed to '' expire '' or encapsulate themselves , like oxidation or something similar . LOL , I sound like I know something , but really I am just stunned by it . I have to pinch me now ....let's continue .

2) New liquid & old powder

New tests --  GR  new L & old P  27 hours mark.jpg

On this one the new -- not passed the best by date -- liquid helped somewhat , but not enough ... I would say a 30% improvement . The accessible area seems to be cured about 30% , the mortar is not sticky and the area at the perimeter under the glass show the same signs .

Again , nothing I am looking forward to see again .

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
3) Old liquid & new powder 27 hours mark .

New tests --  GR  old L & new P  27 hours mark.jpg

This one it is a done deal and is something I like to see every time I use it . 5 hours past the installation -- DONE -- .

4) New liquid & new powder 27 hours mark

New tests --  GR  new L & new P  27 hours mark.jpg

This one it is a done deal and is something I like to see every time I use it . 5 hours past the installation -- DONE -- .

Later :)

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Pretty amazing to see how dramatic the real world difference is. You guys have always said to avoid expired product, and care for what you have. This experiment is a great example to show exactly why. Great job, Roberto. :cool:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks